Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm afraid I may have a re-herniation only a few months post surgery

I was struggling with back pain since 2009 and had been diagnosed this year with a bulging L4/5 disc. In September I developed sciatica that was literally crippling and had no choice but to get surgery. My right foot even started going numb when the sciatic hit(came on pretty rapidly).

After the microdisectomy surgery on Sept 26, the sciatica was gone and so was pretty much all the lower back pain other than the soreness of the incision area. The foot numbness persisted (as it still does now in December). I would take lots of walks as my doctor suggested and I didn't have any discomfort from walking and resumed normal daily activity. At some point in mid November however, I begin noticing that my lower back would start to ache after walking for a while. Then it would seem to happen sooner and sooner. To make things worse, I had to move out of state December 3rd and spent a lot of time packing and carrying and lifting items which screwed things up even more but I had no choice. I was supposed to start physical therapy in mid November for a month but because of my move I wasn't able to.

I now have trouble bending at the waist, the foot numbness is still here and I can't be on my feet for more than 20-30 minutes before my lower back starts aching like hell and I have to sit down. Luckily the sciatica has not come back, but who knows.

Once my insurance gets switched over to my new state I'll contact a new doctor. I'm afraid that I'll have to get a spinal fusion. If it turns out I have re-herniated, what is the chance that a 2nd disectomy will be successful? What's the likelihood that physical therapy can address this? I'm waiting for insurance paperwork to go through so I can go to a doctor but all these questions are running through my mind and really worried.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 12/15/2013 - 5:14 PM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Unfortunately, we tend to see a lot of reherniations here, mostly due to the patients not sticking to the restrictions they were given post op, or taking on more than their bodies are ready for, instead of waiting to be released back to your normal activities by your surgeon.
    There is no way for anyone here to answer your questions about the likelihood of reherniation, it is certainly possible, given the packing, bending, lifting, carrying you did to move, not attending physical therapy, and resuming normal activity before you were cleared to do so by the surgeon.
    THE worst thing that any patient who has had back surgery can do, is to resume your pre surgery activities UNLESS and UNTIL you are told that you can by the surgeon.......the idea behind having the surgery is to fix a weakness in a disc, or remove part of a disc, therefore, it needs to heal, and to scar, so that it doesn't re-occur, and the post op discharge instructions and restrictions are there for a reason, to prevent the patient from reinjuring and undoing all of the good that the surgery is meant to accomplish.
    As far as the nerve issues, they don't just resolve overnight, if there is compression of the spinal nerves, then once the nerve is released from what ever is compressing, it, it takes some time for the nerve to completely recover if it is going to, and this is not days or weeks but can take several months, up to two years, depending on the extent of the damage.
    I am afraid that you need to make an appointment with another surgeon for follow up or return back to your previous surgeon and see what he tells you.
  • modajimmodaji Posts: 2
    edited 12/15/2013 - 5:40 PM
    sandi said:

the idea behind having the surgery is to fix a weakness in a disc, or remove part of a disc, therefore, it needs to heal, and to scar, so that it doesn't re-occur
    Thanks for your response, Sandi. I've heard conflicting information about this above. I've read that the disc doesn't get a blood supply thus it never actually scars and heals like other parts of your body. But you are saying that it does. My concern with my disc all along is that I will have a weak point in my spine for life because the outer portion of the disc that holds the inner jelly-like material will never truly return to its original integrity.
  • to the disc itself, so you were told correctly, but the tissue surrounding the area does scar and although no area that has been injured will ever return to it's pre injury state, healing does occur in the area surrounding the discs, and that's what I was referring to scarring and healing occurring.
    Modifying the way you do things, and not doing things to worsen your weakened areas are the best that we can hope for.
    I hope that you didn't reherniate, and that the pain lessens over time, but again you really should consult with your surgeon or another one in your new home area for advice.