Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg pain after back surgery

One yr after infusion still hvn problems with legs hurting if i stand too long or sit or lay on thighs. Fightin social security for disability now i must go get test i dont care its worth it to me. Anyone with these similar problems after surgery. Therapist said it sounded like a compressed nerve. Tests will tell. Lookn for feed back ok. Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• Yes, it can and does often occur post op that patients will have ongoing leg pain, and it may be caused by a couple of different things, compression of a nerve somewhere, or it may be because the nerve was decompressed ( if it was prior to the surgery), and then once the pressure is removed, the nerve gets inflammed and it takes up to two years for the nerve to recover.
    There are several different options to treating nerve related pain, Lyrica and gabpentin are just two of them.
    Those medications are used to treat neuropathic related pain, and there are others if you don't get enough relief from them. You do need to be aware that it can take some time for the medications to kick in, and that there are usually dosage adjustments that need to happen before you and your doctor come up with the correct dosage for your condition......Lyrica is somewhere between 25 mg- 600 mg per day, and gabapentin can range from 100 mg-3600 mg , so you can see that it can take some time to find the correct dosage. Also, on some medications , you must titrate up and down in dosage and these two meds are some that must be done that way, so if you do go on them, remember that you will need to titrate back down in the dosage before you can stop taking them.
  • its been 2 years since my ALIF and I have had a lot of leg and foot problems since the operation ..infact I am seeing the consultant again next year as he wants to do another MRI scan as he thinks that the adjacent disk may have failed another potential problem with fusions ,I carnt do many thing that I once could even swimming ..I swim a few lengths then my right leg feels like lead !
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • JIMOFVIRGINIAJJIMOFVIRGINIA Posts: 117
    edited 12/20/2013 - 3:44 AM
    I have some leg pain after my surgery that occurred only 15 days ago. I have some numbness in my right leg and sciatic pain. The sciatic pain normally occurs only when I lay on my back or catch a similar angle when lying down or sitting. I also have a general ache feeling in both legs.

I am told and also believe that much of this will go away once things settle down after the surgery and things could start to improve over the next few weeks and some issues may take longer. However, in general things are much better than prior to the surgery.
  • and its still there today and every other day since ..today {21/12 /13 } its so bad I am unable to walk or stand .I am just waiting for a new MRI scan as my consultant feels that the adjacent disk may have failed or the hardware have had dislodged following a recent fall .all I know is I am awful pain .
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.