Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management in Texas

I'm moving to Houston next week and am looking for any input or referrals for a PM Dr. I a bit scared of running out of my medications and as many of you know most of are meds are not transferable across state lines. Any thoughts or advices would be greatly appreciated.

• Depending on the medication, you can have your dr add refills to your current prescription and have them transferred to the pharmacy of your choice once you are there and it's time for your next refill.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. It would be wise to find a new doctor NOW, and have your records sent to the new doctor, prior to your move, as well as having an appointment set up for when you get there and another for your medication needs, because most PM doctors will NOT write for a new patient, at the first appointment, instead waiting for a primary urine test to be done and come back.
    You can check your insurance website for the area where you are moving, and locate PM doctors in the area, or you can use the Spine Health physician look up tool and search for doctors in the area of Texas where you are moving.
    Spine Health Physician Lookup http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/spine-center

Also, there are no refills allowed on controlled substances these days, so you really want to get this set up before you move, not wait until you get there.
  • sue0589ssue0589 Posts: 5
    edited 12/17/2013 - 3:26 PM
    Well thank you, Ill try to do all that. I did not realize doctors will not write for a new patient; is this only because that do not have your records. Now that is worrying me.
  • It's usually because they have no records and test results, as well as them not knowing a patient. Anyone can walk into a doctors office saying I have XYZ condition, and have been taking medications a,b, and c in these dosages and it leaves the pm doctor in a bad position without records and test results to confirm what the patient is saying.
    The regulations regarding opiates means that doctors need to confirm what they are told prior to prescribing to a new patient. They also usually require a urine test before they will prescribe to a new patient as well which is why I suggested finding a doctor now and getting the appointments set up before you move so that you can avoid running out of meds once you get there.
  • I was speaking from experience, when I moved there a few years ago, my dr gave me extra refills on lortab that I had transferred to a pharmacy there when it was time for my refill. Once I was there and situated I made an appointment with a pcp there who took care of referring me to a PM dr....I signed a medical release form once I was seen at the PM office in Texas and my medical records were transferred to my new PM @ that time. This was in 2010, so maybe things have changed since that time, I don't know. This also depends on the medication, I do know that some medications can not be transferred to an out of state pharmacy, because I had to deal with this once when I was prescribed fentanyl patches and fentanyl lollipops........Could you ask your doctor that prescribes your pain meds if it's possible to give you extra refills? Couldn't hurt to ask, could it? Hope it all works out for you. I know what it's like to have to move to another state and have to worry about being out of your meds.....Btw, during my moving to Texas process, having to find another dr, having my medical records transferred I was never out of my medications. It all went very smoothly. Again, my advice would be to talk to your dr about this. Hope this helps some and helps to ease your mind somewhat. Take care. :-)
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/20/2013 - 5:34 AM
    the transfer of prescriptions from one state to another are for the most part, a thing of the past when it comes to opiates/benzo's due to the fact that they are schedule 2 or 3 medications. Even norco is being changed to a schedule two medication which means no refills any longer.
  • I stand corrected...Like I said my experience was almost 4 years ago, I wasn't aware that lortab was about to be, or has become, a scheduled II drug. I guess a lot of things have or will be changing in the near future. When it becomes a scheduled II that will mean a person will have to see their dr every month for a new prescription or at least every 2 months with a post-dated prescription??
  • Yes, all schedule II's will require a new paper prescription each month, unfortunately. Even though I only have to see my doctor every third month, when I am due, I call the week prior, and pick up my new prescriptions the day before they are due to be filled.....