Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After Miami J Collar comes off, Neck Hurts Worse, Anyone else?

Hi, I had a 4 level ACDF on Oct 15th and was in a Miami J collar for 6 weeks, 24/7 except to shower. After the collar came off my neck hurts to turn it side to side or up and down. It has been off for 3 weeks and i thought that it was just the muscles that were angry, but i am beginning to wonder. Has anyone else had this after wearing the Miami J collar? What was your experience with this. The surgeon wont let me start PT he said it was too early yet.
I really don't want to do anything anymore except sit and not move my neck. If we are going to go anywhere, i take a Vicodin as I know that i will be in pain in no time from moving my neck. I go back to the surgeon in January. I am curious of any one else experience with the collar and how they felt when the collar came off. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks Irene
Orlando Florida
4 Level ACDF
October 15th, 2013

• The collar, just like a back brace after lumbar surgery is supposed to support the area of surgery and unfortunately , they also restrict movement. The problem with both items is that the muscles weaken rapidly from disuse, and the immobility, so when we finally do loose the devices, our muscles are considerably weaker and their endurance is much less than it was previously. Our heads weigh a considerable amount given the tiny amount of bone in our necks in relation to size to hold it up, as well as the muscles needed, now they are all weaker and less tolerant of doing what they are supposed to.
    It is important that you continue to follow the directions of your doctor and extend the amount of time spent sitting up and not relying on the collar since that will only make the entire situation worse until you are cleared for therapy.