Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Seeing Nuero today

Hello, I'm Dan, 51 years old and recently I was diagnosed with severe cervical stenosis. But, I've been having bad leg problems so they suspect lumbar issues as well. If it comes to this, which it probably will, what area do they fix first? I also have a problem in that if I am going to need two incredibly rough procedures with very long healing times, how will I get along? I have two brothers and two sisters and I'm really only close to two of them and they probably wouldn't help me. I have a girlfriend but she has mobility issues as well. My parents are deceased. I live on a 2nd floor and will not be able to work for a long time. I am self-employed so I don't know my short-term disability options. I know long term is out of question at least for now. Financially, spiritually and physically, it's going to be rough.

• The length of recovery time frames is determined in large part by the type of surgery the doctor is planning. Fusion surgeries tend to have longer recovery time frames of up to one year, but that doesn't mean that you will be unable to work or walk or go up and down steps for that long.......usually the first month after fusion is the worst, with things getting better day by day as time and muscle strength increase. A lot of the recovery period is your attitude going into it- mentally preparing yourself is as big a part of getting through it as the physical aspect.
    Discectomies, are a bit different, and there are many other types of surgeries that are in between those, so what you are facing might mean a couple of days to a couple of weeks or months, depending on what you are told......try not to worry, we'll be here to help you
  • One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. Everything will work out in the end. Being a spiritual man, you know what to do. :-)
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • One day at a time. I had two fusions in my lumbar region at seperate times. I had help for about four days after each surgery, cause my husband was an over the road truck driver at the time. My family lives about 10 miles from me and they couldn't be bothered. My mother even works at the hospital where I had my surgeries. I had to be very disiplined about what I could and couldn't do. I am not going to lie being alone thru such a traumatic time is rough, but it can be done. I recommend that you have all your needed supplies ready before you go to the hospital. So when you come home its ready. If you have fusions remember that walking is very good for you, it promotes blood flow to the site of the fusion. Laying up in the bed is probably the worse thing a person with a bad back can do. I was up and about once the anesthesia wore enough I could walk. I spent most of my hospital stay sitting in a recliner. Only getting in bed if I was tired. The neurosurgeon really appreciated my efforts. Anyway, enough about me. I wish you well with your surgery and recovery. If you need any questions answered feel free to send me a private message any time.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.