Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain and leg pain

I nave had 4 Lumber surgeries...one of them was fusion w/hardware at L 2/3 2 years ago.....after the surgery I was never able to get off the narcotics, because the pain level was too high....now almost 2 years later the pain is getting way out of control-----to the point of considering another surgery....which I have been warned against by my pain doc.....I am 65...feeling afraid and alone...any comments would be great...

• azsgolfaazsgolf Posts: 23
    edited 12/26/2013 - 3:45 AM
    Have you ever had a second opinion? Sometimes fresh eyes can see something your regular doctors don't see.
  • What other modalities are you using to help ease the pain? What I mean, is that the pain medications are only one very small cog in the wheel of managing chronic pain.
    In order to reduce the pain, you have to use all of the wheels that offer even a tiny bit of pain relief in order to keep it in some balance. With a chronic back problem, there is no such animal as pain free, the best that we can hope for is a reduction of about 50% from our unmedicated levels. That means that the use of over the counter creams, rubs, ointments, patches, heat, heating pads, hot showers, ice, or whatever excercise we can get all contribute to that other 50% some amount, and using that combination should keep our pain levels at a reasonable degree.
    Surgery done for pain relief only is destined to fail, and most surgeons will not consider it.....if Sciatica is the problem, there are some nerve pain medications that might help such as Lyrica, Cymbalta, gabapentin that might be worth a try. Sciatica can ease in days or weeks or sometimes as you are experiencing it can take months, before it disappears as suddenly as it showed up.
    Where is the pain that you are experiencing and what kind of pain is it?
  • The WORST thing that you can do is to be on bedrest for back problems. It only serves to weaken the muscles, and contribute to the pain levels increasing , once you do move. Where do you live that you were given that advice?
    Have you seen a spine surgeon to discuss your spine condition? Have you had any imaging studies done? MRI or CT scan that confirmed a protruding disc? Do you mean a bulging disc or a herniation? They are two different things.
    As far as the decision whether or not to go ahead with surgery, it depends on what your doctor recommends, and what he feels the outcome would be. The patient must always remember though, that things can get much worse.
    Your being 20 years old and being on bed rest for three months is not a good thing, so it might be time for a new consultation with another doctor.