Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Flare-up Post TKR

rrober23rrrober23 Posts: 6

I've had sciatica in my left leg for a few years (see signature). My med "cocktail" since my 2nd back surgery had been 2 Gabapentin, 1 Hydrocodone, 1 Cyclobenzeprene 3 times daily with a 3rd Gabapentin with the evening dose. This made things manageable most of the time. The pain, cramping, etc. would flare after certain exercises or longer drives in the car.

My meds changed with a Right total knee replacement in May 2013, stronger meds and no significant flare-ups on the left side. Now I'm 4 weeks post-op with a Left TKR and the sciatic pain, numbness, cramping has been very much aggravated and not well controlled by medications. It's disrupting my sleep and making it difficult to find comfort during the day. Of course standing gives a bit of relief, but a lot of standing/walking is too much for my recovering knee tissues.

Frustrating. Any advice, similar experiences, etc.? Thank You,

26/11/2013 TKR Left Knee
14/05/2013 TKR Right Knee
20/07/2010 Arthroscopy Right Knee
07/10/2008 REDO Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1(ongoing pain Left Leg: cramps hamstring & thigh, numb toes)
14/12/2007 Lumbar Discectomy L5-S1

• Recovery is difficult at best, and it is not all that surprising that you are having a flare up of sciatica after your TKA surgery. It may be a while before it settles again since the knee replacement was done on the same side as your previous sciatica flare up and you are sitting or laying down much more now.
    I would contact both your surgeon and your spine doctor for excercises/stretches that might help to reduce the sciatica flare and possibly some of the nerve meds might be increased a bit temporarily.
  • Thanks Sandi. Convienently some of the exercises for TKR are the same as for sciatica. I've always been a stretcher. Now I can head for the pool which will help a lot.

I have figured out that if I keep nerve pain and especially peripheral neuropathy in check, the bone and muscle aches are easier to manage w/RICE and Norco. I've had several days where I was out of the Norco due to poor planning around the weekend (Dr. office needs 48 hrs for prescription renewals). I managed w/Aleve, Tylenol, lots of ice and distractions to have pain in the 5-6 levels. (It was a relief to add the Norco back in.) In a way this was good. It allowed me to verify that the hydrocodone still is important for my recovery. I also found that when I did get the new prescription, they'd reduced the quantity and frequency of the pills. I thought I couldn't manage w/those changes, but the three days off let me see that I was going to be fine w/the new regimen. I can get myself so worked up at the thought of having a lot of pain and insufficient medication, that my perception of pain gets distorted.

I asked my GP to add Lyrica (100mg 2x day) to the 120mg of Cymbalta I was already taking. When the inflammation from TKR reduces, I may be able to drop the Lyrica again. Controlling the nerve pain has turned out to be key for me.
    26/11/2013 TKR Left Knee
    14/05/2013 TKR Right Knee
    20/07/2010 Arthroscopy Right Knee
    07/10/2008 REDO Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1(ongoing pain Left Leg: cramps hamstring & thigh, numb toes)
    14/12/2007 Lumbar Discectomy L5-S1
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 01/25/2014 - 11:40 AM
    some of the worst pain there is, the stinging , burning, on fire, pins and needles are enough to drive anyone crazy.....LOL It did me , anyway.
    But you are on the right tract, keeping the neuro related pain down, or under as much control as we can does tend to make it easier to handle the mechanical......keep doing what you are doing, it seems to be working well for you...