Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm back! More surgery, need tips/tricks

I was active on here after my L3-S1 fusion in 2/2010. Also had cervical issues but other joints got in the way. In 2011 I had a rt total knee rplcmt. 2012 due to severe thumb arthritis I had bilateral basal thumb arthroplasty (Sept & Dec). 2013 came along & rt thumb wasn't doing well so 11/21 I had thumb base fusion & arm in hard cast until 01/06. 12/12 I had C4 added to the already fused C5-C7, went well, discharged 12/13. Sat 12/14 I had bad cough, by Sun 12/15 I was admitted by my neck surgeon for severe post op throat swelling. They pumped in steroids and discharged 12/17. I'm still very hoarse and get winded/cough quite a bit.

PROBLEM is sleeping. I'm in Aspen Vista collar and wonder if any good tips, suggestions, for sleeping in this hard collar. Tomorrow is my 1st official cervical post-op and I'll find out how long I'm in the collar.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 12/30/2013 - 6:08 PM

I slept in a recliner for a while after surgery, and whether in bed or in a recliner, I used a number of pillows. I used them to get my head/neck into a comfortable position. If I slept on my side, I had a pillow between my legs and pillows behind my back to prop me up.

Good luck.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had the same collar and slept in my own bed from day one. Small pillow under head laying on left side with a body pillow between knees. It was the only way I could sleep. Hope you find something that works good for you. Sleep is so important for recovery.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13