Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bandages after fusion

My surgeon changed my bandages on my day of discharge. He said they'd fall off on their own and just to monitor potential issues (fluid,color,etc). Anyway that was Friday and tonight my back bandage where they placed the screws are about 50% off. The front where the larger incisions and more serious work was done isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Can anyone here share knowledge about caring for the soon to be exposed wounds? Ointments or anythinng else I should use?

Alif with percutaneous screws L4-L5 scheduled for 12/17. Can't wait to start getting better,

• I've had lots of wounds and the standard of care I've always been given was to let the shampoo/soap wash over them as it would naturally in the shower, rinse, and if necessary use a hair dryer to dry....I wouldn't use any ointments without calling the nurse first.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have had five open lumbar surgeries. I was told just to let the soap and water run over the incision, like AllMetal. Don't scrub them. I just patted them dry. Matter of fact the only one I have ever gotten an infection in, was when a different surgical nurse other than the one that usually worked with my surgeon, told me not to get my incision wet. I developed a real bad staph infection in the wound. I wish you well with your recovery.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.
    Alif with percutaneous screws L4-L5 scheduled for 12/17. Can't wait to start getting better,
  • Do NOT get into the shower unless your surgeon told you that you may. Depending on the type of closure he used, showers are sometimes permitted and sometimes not.
    If in doubt, contact, your surgeons office for clarification, especially since you have a 360 ( front and back incisions).........