Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

advice please

Tracy987TTracy987 Posts: 5
My story is much like all of yours so no need to say everything. I am looking for personal advice to try and help relieve the pain caused by the sciatic nerve. I find heat doesnt help. I use ice packs, about 2-3 on the leg to ankle. I freeze my leg. I have a knee elevator wedge and back wedge. I haven't slept flat on my bed in weeks. If its really bad i sleep on my recliner with ice packs.... it feels like my Achilles tendon is EDITup... to relieve that pain i have to pull up on my toes.... the calf muscle is always cramping, the newest pain is my knee and wit the calf its a very painful restless feeling. THe back of my thigh is also affected as well as my butt and hip.... what is it you guys do to help relieve the pain???? I am on lyrica and tramadol. I am waiting on an appointment with the neuro surgeon

ANy advice would be great..... also has anyone ever tried compression stockings or shorts to try to relieve pain????

Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/26/2013 - 7:50 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

• The treatment really depends on the exact cause of the sciatic nerve pain. If it is injury, ice on the first couple days followed by heat. If it is not caused by injury, ice and heat usually won't help. Ice will reduce the inflammation, and heat will increase the circulation of the injured site.

If it is degenerative cause, ice and heat won't do anything. Sciatica can be caused by herniation, slipped discs or nerve root compression. You have to treat the cause, not just the symptoms. The sciatic pain is only a symptom. It is usually caused by the pinched nerve, but you have to find out how and why is the nerve being pinched, then you will be more likely to find an effective solution to the pain.

If you have cramping, it means the muscle spasms are pinching the nerves as well as pulling the spine (vertebras) out of alignment, causing compression to the nerve roots the emerges from the spine.

It is usually a vicious cycle, cramping causes pain, pain in turn causes the muscle to cramp more. So you have to break the vicious cycle.

If the muscle cramping is one of the causes of the sciatica, then you can do a few things to get rid of the spasms. Physical therapy and massage therapy can help reducing the spasms. Topical muscle relaxant with menthol can help, but it won't get rid of the pain entirely. Another option is to use TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), which stimulates the nerves, reducing both the pain and muscle spasm, by scrambling the nerve signals, breaking the vicious cycle of pain-induced cramping.

Until you find out the exact cause of the sciatic nerve pain, the treatment is usually a hit or miss, because if you don't treat the cause, the symptoms will always show up. All the pain meds are treating the symptoms, they are not treating the cause. But the hard truth is that most of the pain meds don't really help, the excruciating pain still persists until you treat the cause.
  • My sciatic pain reliefs:

*Weekly massage (when affordable!)

*laying on and rolling around on a tennis ball (particularly the gluts, soooo painful but I feel its better then laying there feeling cramped)

*When walking wearing compression underwear that wrap tight around the hips and gluts.

*float in the pool

*and my favourite E-bay purchase machine that hangs me upside down for some good old fashioned traction.

Non of those cure the problem but they are a few of my life lines (drugs are a waste of money and take the one thing you have - your mind! They won't help with nerve pain unfortunately in my experience of 3 years)
  • ChaiTeaCChaiTea Posts: 9
    edited 01/04/2014 - 2:07 AM
    Nicoladie your advise is well said. Wish I had that said to me 9 years ago.
  • Thanks...... i am not sure what the cause is yet. HOpefully find out this week. I had a discetomy a year ago and the two disks that were operated on are degenerative and at the time had three buldging disks as well.

I wanted to try the compression shorts so thanks for saying you tried them:-)

FReezing the leg is still the best thing for me. THanks for the responses
  • I agree with all Nicoladie said, along with Chai Tea. I have degenerative disc disease and mild scoliosis. My left sciatic nerve was impinged for almost three years. I would hang upside down on my inversion table twice a day if possible, I wore a tens unit daily to trick my brain. I would try to sleep flat with pillows under my knees but it was impossible for me to lay flat so most of my sleeping was on my sides, I bought a knee wedge to help with proper alignment. I tried many a pain med along with nerve pill but, like mentioned earlier, no medicine helped since my back needed fused to relieve the nerve root compression.
    Coccygectomy 07-12-12
    L5-S1 ALIF 12-03-13
    Bilateral Rhizotomy L4-S1 02-24-15
  • ChaiTeaCChaiTea Posts: 9
    edited 01/04/2014 - 10:42 AM
    Tracy987- Your a trooper and I'm not sure how you do it - life sounds very rough for you. I really wish you all the best and most of all that you'll find peace and hope along the way.
  • I have a feeling of red hot water been poured onto my left thigh , no pain but very uncomfortable [one doctor said it was sciatica , and another one said nerve endings and left it there , what can I do , I feel they just are not bothered I have had this since October 2013 , I did have sciatica in my right leg which is a little better [ the doctor said it can take months to go help
  • I am 72 years of age I went through menopause in my 40s and now seems to have returned , I get wet through , neck face e t c , I wish I could do something it is making me very depressed . I am having about 6 a day lasting about 10 mins