Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Fusion at L5 S1 - 360

My name is Samantha Frazier. I am 25 years old and will be having surgery in Neenah, WI on Monday December 30th. I was told that the surgery would be about 2.5 hours and that they will have to flip me over during the surgery. I starting to get anxious that something might go wrong. Also wondering how painful my first few steps will be. I am interested in animal assisted therapy. Has anyone tried that for pain management and for a faster recovery.

I found out about my condition about 6 months ago. I have been dealing with pain for 1.5 years. I have been in two bad car accidents and I have a bad fall playing volleyball in Sept of 2012. Surgery was my only option to get back to my normal life since I have tried everything else.

I am very active! I work with dogs and horses. I play almost all sports. I love to swim and play with my niece and nephew.

Thanks, Samantha

ps. ask any questions you might have.
Samantha Frazier

• Good luck! I didn't have a 360 fusion, but I did have a 2 level anterior and posterior fusion in October. Surgery was about 4 hours long. The first week is the hardest and my first few steps were rough. By the 3rd day after surgery, I was walking much better though and by day 4, only needed a cane for extra stability. I am now almost 9 weeks out and I feel awesome.

Walking in my opinion is the key to a fast recovery. I walked every day at home once I was discharged and now walk 3+ miles a day.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • Hi Samantha first off good luck during the surgery! I had the exact same surgery on L5-S1. First off 2.5 hours seems extremely short mine was 5 hours total 2 for the front and 3 for the back which is pretty much standard with back surgery. I had one of the best doctors in WI worked out good. The pain for the first 48 hours was pretty bad I am not going to lie, however once the proper pain med concoction worked it was bearable. The key to a fast recovery is walk walk walk some more!!! Although it may hurt to do it I was back to work after 6 weeks. I was up to 4.5 miles at one time by the 4th week if that tells you anything. Please feel free to pm me if you need any additional info or just need some support! Robert
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 12/27/2013 - 4:02 PM
    My 2 level fusion was scheduled for 5.75 hours. I won't lie, the pain is intense, but every time you need to move positions, I found it helpful to take deep breaths and close my eyes. If my surgeon hadnt hopped a plane the same day as my op, I may have wanted to punch him (jk). But each day gets better. Hang in there!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1