Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whining a little less

It's been almost a year since my herniate disk injury in my neck. Neck does not hurt amazingly! My my arm really gives me hell! Still. And the pain jumps around. Some days it's my shoulder, or my wrist or even my fingers. Still cannot feel one of them. I'm no longer a surgical candidate. Pain is manageable. I use prescription antinflamatories. I am able to exercise and I have learned to do modified exercise to push through some of the pain. I take breaks when needed. I use lots of pain med free alternatives for pain relief, like a tens unit and massage therapy. I quit smoking and all that healthy jazz. Recently have found the best way to relieve my pain lately is wine. Actually it all started recently when I went out, got toasted, hungover as hell the next day and then I realized, zero pain...ZERO pain for THREE whole days! What's crazy is i start getting partial sensation back to my finger. I'm not planning on polishing a bottle of wine every few days for pain relief but seriously the thought crossed my mind. Has anyone experienced this? I have noticed this on other occasions as well. My Nero says long term antinflamatories use is not healthy. Uh, really. Well then, here's to another glass of antioxidant rich red wine.

• I wanted a glass at Thanksgiving, thought about it again at Christmas, now the new year!! I don't drink. But have always had one glass wine on those holidays...

Afraid to have any because of the meds...maybe I reconsider. Be joyful for a little while.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 12/28/2013 - 11:37 PM
    Used to love a glass of red. Went to my friends' wedding, did the brave it out thing, most of us do, so I wouldn't look like I was in pain. I volunteered to take some photos, I made a living from it years ago. Bought an Olympus Pen SLR, they are light and thought I might get into it, maybe something I could do again with spine pain, I love photography. Unfortunately photography does not love me but takes my mind off the pain, got carried away, lifted my right arm above my shoulder, for an extended period of time. Took some great shots. Then the pain started, so at the reception had a few reds thinking it would help. Didn't touch the pain, didn't want to moan - ended up dancing Zorba, that really hurts especially if you have people either side who are ..... (as we like to say in Aus) and both of them wanna lift both your arms out of time. Must have been crazy but it was fun - paid for it later heaps. Sometimes you just have to work through the pain. It was worth it mentally and I could give them great photos. They are still happily married. Mm a reason to celebrate!
    Red, red wine
    Stay close to me
    Don't let me be alone
    It's tearin' apart
    My blue, blue heart

Post Edited for Inappropriate Language by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

Sorry LIz and anyone else I may have offended - still have problems with different meanings of the English language the UK and USA. I know different words are differently used in Australia - learnt not to say a lot of words I would use in Australia, when I lived in the UK as they were offensive. My UK partner at the time had to tell me, different meanings or same meaning but different connotation. Sorry Liz - didn't know the word was offensive.