Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C3-C4 fusion

Back in December 2012 I was walking about a mile every night, one night I noticed cramps/pain in the backs of my legs, went in layed down and went to sleep. Next day all was fine, went for my walk that night, half way through the same pain started again. Again, went to sleep, all was fine next day. Now its my 3rd night of walking and it starts again but this time I'm about 20 yards from my door and all of a sudden my legs started picking up the way a horse does when he prances in a show.
Next day went to my primary physican who requests an MRI. Obviously its rejected by the insurance company so now my primary makes an appointment with a neurologist. Neurologist does his testing and says something is going on and requests an MRI. A day after the MRI, neurologist calls and says i need to have surgery immediately. All this time i'm getting worse, was at a point where i was uncontrollably bending over and had severe pains across the lower back. Neurosergon calls and says i have a crushed disc at C3-C4 that needs immediate surgery.

A paragraph out of the neurologists report says " Abnormal MRI of the cervical spine showing evidence of moderate to sever left neural foraminal, mild to moderate right neural foraminal and moderate central spinal cord narrowingg secondary to disc osteophyte complex and also evidence of non specific 5mm T2 hyperintensity within the left posterior aspect of the adjacent cervical spinal cord"

Not sure of the translation, on the day of the operation I ask the Dr if I will be able to walk normally after the surgery.
After surgery Dr says all went well, i should be back to normal soon.

Had 4 post op visits with the neurosurgeon, each time he would ask how I feel and each time I wouldl tell him not much better and his response went from the first visit of "its going to take a few months to heal" to the last visit "sometimes this type of surgery takes 12-15 months to heal and in some cases it never gets better !"

In the last couple days my condition is starting to get worse, now on the left hand, my pinky finger and one next to it are almost totally numb and the first and middle finger now have the pins and needle sensation and the side of left hand is also numb.
Lost almost all strength in left arm, next to impossible to button pants this morning. Just came back from an attempt to walk, did about 200 yards and thought i was going to fall over, no strength and pains in both legs.

Depression and nerve level just kicked up a few notches also, seriously thinking of seeking help on this level and wondering if prolonged stress can contribute to existing issues.

Taking 7 different types of medications for pain,spasims and muscle cramps.
Has anyone else experienced a deteriorating condition 8 monts after surgery and

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi! I too had problems after my first two back surgeries and ended up getting a second opinion at a University hospital. It turned out that nothing had fused and all of my screws were loose. My neurosurgeon there did a fantastic job and I have had no trouble with my lower back since and that was three years ago. Earlier this year I made the mistake of going to a different neurosurgeon closer to home (but a different doc who did my first two surgeries) to do a five level ACDF. It too has not fused and so on the 21st of next month I am returning to my neurosurgeon at the University to fix it. It normally takes about a year to have everything fuse. If I were you, I would get a second opinion as soon as possible. I know it is discouraging but don't give up! Keep pestering your PCP to help you find a new neurosurgeon! I will add you to my prayers!