Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suspected SI joint dysfunction 1 year post-op

Hello everyone! This Saturday marks 1 year since my L4-S1 ALIF and out of that year I have felt about 5-6 months of pain relief. Started to get sciatica in September after an assault, and once the x-rays & MRI proved negative I was sent to pain management with a "sciatic nerve contusion" for a nerve block. They were terrible to work with so I ran (okay, hobbled) back to my surgeon who finally noticed me favoring my right leg. I have also refused to sit down in his office the last 2 visits as it is simply too painful if I'm not up on my right buttcheek. It's time for a CT scan anyway, so he's sending me for that and an anesthetic-only SI join injection to diagnostically test the theory. If I get any relief, then it's positive and I can expect an SI joint fusion.

Does anyone else have experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction after a lumbar fusion? I hear it's fairly common.
DDD L4-5 & L5-S1 w/ herniation
Failed discectomy, 8-15-11
Discogram, 11-14-12
L4-S1 ALIF (2 plastic cages, 2 plates and 8 screws), 1-4-13
FBSS & SI joint dysfunction, 12-30-13
1 year post-op CT hardware scan & left SI joint injection, 1-17-14

• But I had SI issues years before my fusion( but after my disectomy).
    I didn't even make it a year. My therapist gave me an SI belt and it does help.
    But yes it's annoying. Pilates seems to help but I sit at work all day and that just doesn't help anything!
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis
  • I had SI joint issues before my fusions but the only thing that could get rid of the SI pain was to have both joints fused (at separate times). The pain relief is immediate. As soon as you wake up from the anesthesia it is gone.

Probably being fused from L1-S1 made the SI even worse as all that fused bone was sitting on top of my SI joints. I am very happy I had it done and wish I would have done it sooner before the pain was unbearable.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.