Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Charlie Horse

Hi all,

I've posted in another board about having pain in the sacrum area of my back. Things are going on that I've never had before and was wondering if anyone else has had this or not.

First, I've had a L4-S1 ALIF Fusion in 2007. Osteoarthritis along with other DDD have set in and continually take oral meds and get routine facet joint injections. Recently, I've been having more pain the sacrum area and my PM thinks it's sciatica. But when I lay flat on my back in bed, my lower back begins throbbing and I have to reposition. The last few nights, I've been getting horrible Charlie Horses in my calf muscles in the middle of the night. I've woken up screaming from the pain twice. Last night I was able to keep from screaming, but the pain was still intense. I've never had this issue before.

Has anyone else had this? I don't think my calcium or potassium is out of whack since I feel ok otherwise. This is really weird.

Thanks!

Keith
Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement

Comments

• Sound like my sciatica symptoms, except mine was my whole leg.
    If you look on google, there are graphics which show which nerve involves which part of the leg.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • Yep, I looked it up and S1-S2 are suspect. That would agree with the additional discomfort I'm feeling these days. I'm thinking my next PM appointment may last a little longer than normal.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • oh, i know that guy very well. when i was 25 he visited me for 3 months straight. NO JOKE!. After the first week i learned how to walk and went to a chiropractor because i didnt have insurance. the guy did help and he was very gentle. SO after the 3 months, I had a limp for about 3 years, now im numb from my butt to my right heel. i need to be real careful or it will come back for a few days,
    this was all after a 98 laminectomy. i need a fusion now but cant due to work
    Multi level partial laminectomy at age 19. L5s1 L4 L3. Thoracic pain started in 2001 found herniation in t8 and t9 in 2011 multi level thoracic fusion Dec 4 2013, Los fusion near future. And other thoracic pain.......
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 01/27/2014 - 5:24 AM
    Those middle of the night Charlie horses are insane! I had them continually when I was pregnant as the nerves are compressed when laying down. I wish I knew how to prevent them, but I do have a helpful tip the next time you have one:

Force your toes on the affected leg towards your shin as hard and fast as you can. Your calf muscle is tightening, and the toe-to-shin trick will force it to release a bit. The first rep will be the toughest. If you can get out of bed as well, it can help to stand on your toes and then lower yourself to the floor, over and over again.

Hope you feel better!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
advertisement