Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica involving L4

Hi all I visited your site in August last year due to the fact I experienced severe pain in my leg for 12 weeks. Unfortunately the pain is back. It started about 4 weeks ago but due to the fact I was off on holiday I did not visit my go and took the tramadol,naproxen and cocodamol I still had left over from my attack in August. To be honest the pain was manageable but now I am in agony. Severe burning pain in my leg and groin and a dull pain in my lower back. Any suggestions as to how I can make this awful pain go away again. At the moment I am laying in bed with a hot water bottle on my leg as it is the only way the pain is bareable. I the pain runs down from my lower back into my groin and down the side of my leg to my knee. So far in all I have had this bout of pain for nearly 5 weeks and it is getting worse instead of better. I kept active over my holiday but now I can barely walk. Please can anyone offer me any advice how to help this?

• Hi, if I were you I would get an MRI. See whats happening. Until then take it easy and rest. Don't feel weird that meds aren't helping - if you read enough of the post on here you'll find that allot of people don't get relief from any drug in relation to nerve pain. (and if your dr offers a nerve root injection…..well lets just say I'm yet to find a person that thought it helped for sciatica).

Unless you go for an operation in the future the only thing we all can do with sciatic pain is do what your body says you can for today. Sciatica is an endurance race that will challenge anyones patience and life values. Hang in there!! Sorry after 3 years of sciatic pain, I have learn't there's not allot one can do except wait and find the small things that give you a bit of relief.
    * traction
    *heat ice
    *pool therapy
    *tight underwear that wraps tight around your gluts and hips for back support
    What helps to is always having an upcoming appointment with either your massage therapist, physio, or dr. Appointments help give you destination marks along the way. All the best
  • Thank you for your reply. I believe now that it is a different nerve involved than the Sciatic nerve I am ashamed to say the name I have forgotten. It hurts just as much though. I am of to have a nice hot bath in a little while. It's not as bad as yesterday today thank goodness. Going to see an Orthopedic Constultant tomorrow regarding a problem with my foot so am hoping it all might be connected and he will give me some sort of tests for this problem with my back . My friend thinks the problem with my foot might have done something to my posture.

I must confess yesterday I was in tears with the pain.
  • Hope you find some answers!
  • Hi Still hanging in there, the pain is still down the front of my leg, groin and hip. Now I can't stand anything touching my leg because just under the skin is so sore and really hurts when I walk. I have had to hold of the pain killers a bit now because IBS problems. I am beginning to wonder if this pain will ever go. My orthopaedics appointment is still weeks away and I am not sure a ordinary back X-ray will show anything, I am sooooo fed up with it,
  • If you really have a gut feeling that this is nerve pain, you may want to try a neurosurgeon. If nothing shows up on the x-ray, the ortho may suggest physical therapy anyway. My problem with orthos for nerve pain is that after an almost clean x-ray and 6 weeks of physical therapy, I'm worse than I was before and I'm still having to wait on my MRI. Every day is a challenge, so the fewwr days that pass between now and relief, the better. Doctors don't take too kindly to patients telling them how to do their jobs though, so you may need to use your own judgement on how to get that MRI. If only nerves showed up on x-rays and people weren't so acared of myelograms.
  • Hi there thank you for taking the time to answer me. Ina, willing to try anything physio, losing weight, I am not obese but since have gained weight since reaching the age of 50, mostly around my tummy. I have epilepsy so am under a neurologist but my next appointment is not till August and I understand the doctor who usually sees me who is really nice has been off work for sometime and may not be back by then. The Orthopaedic doctor I am seeming is really nice as well so hopefully he will be able to explain these new set of symptoms to me. The burning is almost unbearable tonight. My friend used to be a medical secretary is also coming with me which helps.
  • The burning sensations are just as bad, if not worse than the back pain itselffrom what I've experienced. The only thing that helps me with that is a nice warm bath. It doesn't decrease the pain for me but it relaxes me enough to cope with it. I sit back and imagine the pain running out of my toes. Seems crazy but sometimes any little thing that could help is necessary. I've also used BioFreeze on my legs. I know that's not where the pain is coming from but it helps relieve some of the burn. You can get it at almost any drugstore.