Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro-D Successes? No Reherniation?

Hi everyone! Thank you to everyone who commented on my first post this week and for making me feel welcome :)

I am a 21 year old with a posterior/lateral L5S1 herniation that has not successfully responded to an ESI, prednisone, or PT after nearly three months. I am getting progressively worse with numbness and tingling in my right calf and foot, while the pain fluctuates from low-severe on the daily. I am jobless and out of school, more than ready to get my life back.

I have been referred to get a microdiscectomy and have read so many horror stories of reherniation/second operation/eventual fusion/sequential issues of neighboring discs, that I am really anxious/upset/paralyzed with fear and terrified to move forward. I am seeking out any success stories out there. The surgeon told me the likelihood of reherniation is 15%. I am struggling through days of tears and frustration, ready to move forward but I don't want to regret it down the road. It seems like coughing/sneezing/using the bathroom/sleeping/and so much more can cause it to reherniate and I don't want to go through this anymore. I am twenty one years old and I watch my friends and family enjoy their normal lives and I am sick of this. Any positive feedback would be so truly appreciated :)

• KatjonmadiKKatjonmadi Posts: 42
    edited 01/04/2014 - 10:56 AM
    I made it 10 years after my first open d/s before reherniating badly enough to require another surgery. Unfortunately only made it a year between micro d/s #2 & 3. I have still managed to avoid a fusion and with each lumbar surgery I woke in recovery pain free (other than incision pain of course). That being said I don't regret any of those surgeries. I was only 24 when I had my first so I understand where you are coming from. The hardest part for me at that young age was realizing even when I'm not hurting I still have a bad back and have to treat it with care for the rest of my life. Good luck!
    March 2002 L4-5 open d/s
    July 2012 L4-5 micro d/s
    November 2013 L4-5 micro d/s
    December 2013 C6-7 ADR