Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6wk post op pain

I have been doing fine with my post op from fusion. Now I am having trouble at night with nerve pain and can not sleep ( it is 3am). I have been trying to reduce the OxyCod . Should I still be taking it?decided to try and sleep on the recliner tonight after being restless for the last 3 hrs! Help,,

• i wish i was some help but im in the same boat. i had a microdisc and was feeling better until 7 weeks post op,now i have nerve pain in both legs (only one leg before surgery)...im not on any pain meds because my dr wont give me any past 1 month....so i just wish i felt better. :( right now i am 12.5 weeks post op and i still have the pains.... if i dont do anything all day but wonder around my house, watch tv, etc i feel fine. as soon as i do ANY activity (even just going to the store 5 min away and back) i have ALOT of nerve pain.
  • successfully treated with opiates. There are many other medications that are far more effective when it comes to treating nerve related pain- Lyrica, gabapentin, amilytriptaline, and cymbalta are just some of the commonly used medications to treat neuropathic pain.
    Post op flares of nerve pain are common, when there was nerve impingement prior to the surgery and it can take some time to subside a bit or disappear.
    If the pain is too bothersome, talk to your surgeon about using one of the above mentioned medications to see if they help. Just make sure to understand that these type of medications need to be adjusted up in dosage and they are not meant to be stopped suddenly. You need to titrate up and down in dosage if you are taking them.
  • nerve pain is not always treated with opiates howeveri have had days where my pain is maybe a 6-7 and taking lortabs or percocet takes the edge off the pain. i tried taking lyrica but it made me high as a kite and for HOURS. i hated it.
    it took away the nerve pain but only briefly...maybe for 5 days....then it came back.
    my dr gave me gabapentin too but i havent tried it yet. im trying to not be stuck on meds. but there are days where im debating taking it for sure!
  • Could I be having the nerve pain because I am doing to much? I am suppose to return to work part time on the 13th Jan
  • need to be titrated up and down in dosage to be effective. All medications have side effects, most of which disappear once your body acclimates to the dosage, which usually happens in a week or so after you start them or increase the dosage. Lyrica and gabapentin both are medications that need to be slowly started and increased in dosage until you get the most benefit, with the least amount of side effects. Lyrica is usually started at 25 mg and then slowly increased once you get used to the side effects. Gabapentin is usually started at around 100 mg a couple of times a day, then can be increased up to 3600 mg per day if needed....
  • The surgeon wants to wait a month before doing anything about the nerve pain. He wants to make sure it is not my nerves "coming alive". Also since I had a spinal fluid leak during surgery, he wants to make sure it has nothing to do with that. He said I now can take Advil or extra strength tylenol, so to try that. I am trying to get off the oxycod in the next two wks. Should not be to hard as I only take it twice a day.
  • Ive actually noticed that now that im not taking any hyrdocodone or percocets regularly anymore, on the days i have bad days, they help even more since my tolerance is back down. i actually havent taken one in a month. for the past month ive beenon advil and tylenol pretty regularly until a week ago i am now down to 1 or 2 a day.... which again seems to work better now that im not taking them constantly. but dont be a martyr
    , take something when you need it to stay on top of the pain.
  • Your surgeon has the right idea, since many of us who have had surgery and had some nerve compression have had to ride the nerve pain flare up post op pain as the nerves start to rejuvenate and re awaken and it can be tough pain to deal with....
    It can take a bit longer than a month before the pain completely goes away, but you should see some change in the way it feels ( improvement) over time....less numbness, tingling, burning......if not give the nerve pain meds a try and see if they help.
  • which is one of the reasons that I don't ever recommend to someone to use their breakthrough meds as often as we see them used at times around forums.
    They are not meant for that, and never were.....and they ulimately will become just another addition to the amount of the baseline meds if you are also using long acting meds as well.
    I'm glad that you are finding that they are more effective for you now and hope that they stay that way.