Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone ever had an issue with sweating after surgery?

Kind of embarrassing, but since my lumbar fusion, I've had an issue with sweating that has been worse the past week or two. I can just be sitting at my desk and my shirt gets wet. I know the nerves that control sweating are located in the spine, so it's something I'll discuss with my surgeon at the end of the month.
10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1

• No sweating issues for me.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • I don't know why but it has happened to me with this and other surgeries. Sweating is also a way for the body to purge itself of toxins.
    ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • I actually am hot when I try to go to bed. If I have even a sheet over me, I sweat. I will add in that it's like -60 windchill outside right now ;)
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • If you are taking medications, depending on what you're taking it can cause sweating. I'm 47 and my body is doing so many weird things that I think the alien popping out of my stomach is next.

Sarah - you made me smile! My wife freezes all the time and has extra blankets on the bed. I sweat big time in bed and just have a sheet over me. It's a heat wave here right now (11 degrees).
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Definitely not meds in my case. I've been off everything for over a month.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • michele lenammichele lena Posts: 21
    edited 01/07/2014 - 8:54 AM
    I have sweating and my surgeon said its a nerve issue he will address when we get to that part of my spine. Right now my spinal cord is severely compressed in my neck and i have been dizzy and passing out. Getting "caged" asap before i have a stroke. I was appreciative that my surgeon read I had a total hysterectomy 10 years prior, so not menopause. For many women this issue is ignored and labelled hormonal.
  • My doctor explained that my temperature changes were my hormones fluctuating post anesthesia. My "hot-flashes" were 10-15 days post op and then went away. I actually had one while I was sitting in his office for the two week follow up. I had to pull my shirt away from my skin so it wouldn't be soaked, LOL. Hope you get answers soon.
    Coccygectomy 07-12-12
    L5-S1 ALIF 12-03-13
    Bilateral Rhizotomy L4-S1 02-24-15
  • my preop appointment today if I had experienced thremogenic episodes after surgery before. He said some people have responses to anesthesia and it causes episodes of hot flashes and sweating. I remembered reading this thread when he asked me the question.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • The palms of my hands and the soles of my feet are sweaty. It started while I was taking Prednisone. I assumed it was a side effect. I've been off pred for almost 2 weeks now and am still having issues.