Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cold Weather/Pain

I'm curious how many folks out there suffer more after surgery when the weather turns cold? Right now, it's a balmy -2 degrees outside and I feel achy and stiff. I do go out of my way not to shiver as that feels really bad on the rods and screws!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    as this may sound, I generally feel it the most when the seasons change. So even with these couple of minus degree days, it didnt bother me.. Mid December, even at around 40ish degrees, I started to feel the change.

So, with me, it could be more about the overall pressure and not the temperature. But I never really spent much time trying to figure it out for myself.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • and the barometer....... for a few days before a big storm, or change in the barometer and depending on how much change there is, determines how much I ache and I hate it..
  • I notice changes of weather in the wrist I broke last year but still too soon to say about my fusion. I don't see how that could be any different though! I'm my my own barometer.
    L5 S1 MicroD - August 21, 2013
    L5 S1 Fusion - October 17, 2013
    44 year old
  • Jilro14534JJilro14534 Posts: 69
    edited 01/06/2014 - 12:46 PM
    Yes,I notice that I ache more when it is colder. We are really cold in upstate NY. Wind chill may go to -25 tonight!! Keep warm
  • My back has felt great for almost 2 months, but I have been very achy the past few days because of the cold weather.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • I live in Florida and it only got down to the 40's, but to us that's freezing cold! I am definitely feeling it in my bones and hardware.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • My surgeon said I would become a human barometer with all the metal in my back. He was right! Last night I was just plain miserable trying to get comfortable to sleep. My PM doesn't prescribe break through meds, so I had to wait until it was "close" to the 12 hour point to take my ER medication. Getting up for work was difficult!

• You must somewhere near me because we are sharing the same weather reports...........
  • I am just Northeast (no relation to Kim & Kanye's baby) of Louisville, KY. The Eskimos can keep their dang "Polar Vortexes"!

• Where are you Sandi? I am right outside of Rochester