Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting cervical cage - anyone else been caged?

michele lenammichele lena Posts: 21
edited 01/06/2014 - 8:58 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Getting cervical cage on 2 levels. I like that it is not screwing metal in my body, I have enough metal already. These are plastic so the cold weather won't be crippling, like with metal. I have a compressed spinal cord so it had to be done asap. I am a stenosis sufferer since my teens. How long to recover? Doctor said 6 weeks, but I have been around the block on this one and I know it can be longer. Let me know how your cage worked.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I had a cage, along with a strut, plates, rods, and screws installed both from posterior and the anterior sides. I live in a cold climate and never had any issues with the titanium making it feel any different. I had three levels fused, your doctor maybe fairly accurate on the time frame he expects you to recover, everyone is different.
    I am almost 7 years post-op from that fusion and it is still solid. Hope all goes well for you, take care.
  • I had a 2 level acdf 2 years ago, titanium plate & screws because the discs collapsed and were leaning on my spinal cord. I was in the hospital only 23 hours and had to wear a soft neck brace for 1 week. Went thru physical therapy and went back to work after only 3 weeks. I was still in pain and if I had to do it over, I would take the 6 weeks to recover instead of being stubborn! Like ranger said, everyone is different & heals different. I have no issues with weather changes and other from having permanent nerve damage of tingling and numbness in my hands that happen before my surgery, I feel good and don't have the pain I had. Don't worry too much, you'll get thru this just fine :) Good luck
    New MRI's Not good-Cervical-Thoracic-Brain
    DLIF 4 level lumbar fusion L1 to L5 Dec 2013...
    ACDF 2 level cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 Dec 2011