Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Value of Titanium

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
I've often wondered what the overall value of titanium is. I figure with the spinal devices along with all my joint replacements, I have a good amount of titanium inside of me

Enough to insure myself as a precious metal ?

An post made by THing4CSA in Yahoo answers 4 years ago

Titanium is not a precious metal when you compare it to silver or gold, but if someone is shooting at you and you have a wall to stand behind that is made of Titanium is would be considered the most valuable item in your life. Titanium is light weight, very strong and is able to be made into different shapes. The cockpit of the US Air Force's A-10 (Warthog) is made of Titanium which will protect the Pilot and Co-Pilot/Navigator safe from being shot. I guess it all comes down to what you consider 'valuable'.

Checking various sites, the value of titanium is about $40 a pound or $2.5 an ounce. I've been trying to figure out what the weight of titanium is for cervical implants as well as joint replacements. Based on the surgical sizes of these implants and I have now had both shoulders and both hips replace and titanium stems implanted, I figure I have a decent amount.

Biggest question, is it enough for my wife to take a big insurance policy on my installed metals?????
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• ron
    if you go through the sensors in an airport, they will not sound if you have titanium in you. i had a note from a dr saying that i had metal and when i went through, nothing. they also told me titanium will not set off alarms
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    off was in Paris. I have never had a problem in any domestic airport.

But , interestingly, a couple of months ago, we went to the Top of the Rock. in New York City, I set off alarms and they needed to do a body wand scan. I have had a Doctors night before when I has the titanium plate/screws in my neck. Some airport officials didn't care about any such note. And that was before 9/11
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com