Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/5 discectomy and now have a bulging disc again

I had L4/5 discectomy in July 2011 send have been fine either no pain, but in August 2013 I had my baby via a c section and since have been having sciatica pain in my left leg. Currently on morphine for my pain and just received the result of my MRI scan which says I have L4/5 disc degeneration with annular bulging and left sided posterolateral disc prolapse occupying the left lateral recess and compressing the L5 nerve root. At L3/4 there is a left lateral annular bulge with annular tear. Has anybody else had similar problems and what have you done to ease the constant pain. I can't walk far, stand for longer than 2 minutes, I have a lovely baby daughter and can't even enjoy being a mum to het. I have tried chiropractor, acupuncture, PT, stretching, have been taking vitamin B, fish oil supplement and turmeric. I am on morphine, diazepam, amytropyiline and many other drugs but nothing seems helping

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 01/08/2014 - 1:23 PM
    Have you consulted with a board certified spine surgeon yet? I would strongly suggest that you don't continue chiropractic care until you have been cleared to do so by the surgeon. Going to a surgeon does not necessarily mean that you must have surgery but there are certain situations where having chiropractor manipulate your spine can cause further damage and that is not something you want with a small child.
  • Thank u very much for your response. I have read the link and can confirm that when the pain started 2 months ago I went to my GP who prescribed me the Tramadol for my pain. Although I was taking the painkillers I was still experiencing a strong pain. It got out of my control and I was taken to hospital because the pain was excruciating and I couldn't move my legs and arms. So I was put on morphine and nerve relaxing drugs. I had a result of my MRI scan which I put in my post above and now waiting for response from my surgeon. I was convinced that the cause of my pain is not my disc but the nerve damage during the epidural for my c section (the strong pain hit me down my bottom when the needle went in) and finding out that it's disc again is very frustrating, especially when I have already have a surgery before.
  • When a nerve is compromised by a disc issue, it causes the symptoms that you are having. They may suggest steroid injections to try to ease the inflammation but may also decide not to and just recommend surgery to remove the compression on the nerve.
    The problem with a nerve being involved is that the longer it is left to be compressed, the longer it can take to recover and may cause permanent damage if left untreated.
    Good luck with the surgeon.
  • Can they operate me again on my disc if I have already had a discectomy 2 years ago? Thank u in advance for response