Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain 3 months post-op 4 level ACDF

I went to the ortho Surgeon yesterday for 3 month post op check up and he cant understand why I am still having pain as the x-rays look good as far as disk space and hardware. But then he said something that stunned me so much that I didn't even have a chance for any follow up questions, and may be the reason for my continued neck pain anytime I turn my head in any direction. He told me he changed the curvature of my neck, that it was curving the wrong way and he corrected it.
What? Has anyone heard of this, and how long was my neck in the other curved position? So maybe this is the reason for my continued pain, He is now allowing for me to get some PT and I am hoping that it will help to strengthen my neck and possible diminish this pain I have had since removing the Miami J collar 6 weeks ago.
Has anyone else had anything similar happen to their neck. My husband said the surgeon never mentioned it after the surgery. Any input would be appreciated.
Orlando Florida
4 Level ACDF
October 15th, 2013

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Irene,
    When I had my first anterior/posterior cervical fusion the surgeon corrected the kyphosis curvature of my spine and returned it to the natural lordosis. Do not be surprised if you have some pain post-op, it is very common as nerves and muscles continue to heal long after surgery.
  • I have several posts explaining my post operative pain. Only when I read this post was my suspicion corroborated. (Summary: had C6,7, and C5,6 fusion in 2008 and C4,5 in 2012. After all fusions I have continued to have residual pain - like a knife in my lower neck - so that the only relief I get is by lying prostrate in my bed. No way for a previously active senior to spend the rest of his years!!! I had often thought that the curvature of my neck had been changed by these surgeries but not until now have I seen evidence of some others with the same problem. Please note that the post operative pain is much much greater than any pain I had previous to the surgery. So, I would ask anyone else with the same problem, how do you get your surgeon to change the fusions so that they conform to the original curvature? And any advice on how to relieve the pain - other than by drugs - would be appreciated greatly. Note that I have tried most drugs, RFL ablation, etc. etc. without success. Thanks, Gord in Brit. Columbia
  • I'm 3 weeks post op ACDF C4-C7, My neurologist told me the issues with my cervical spine (severe stenosis and C2-C7 hernias) changed the curvature of my back. I wonder if my neurosurgeon fixed that? I'm going to ask him during my post op visit on the 21st,. I don't have neck pain.. just upper shoulder pain and it's still not too bad.. I take the muscle relaxers and klonopin to relax me since my body is always in a tense position.
    2013-4 Level ACDF C4-C7 herniation with severe spinal stenosis at C4-C5. .Bulging disk at L3-L4, and L4-L5. Herniation at L5-S1. As of 8/29/14 Bulging disc at L2-L5-S1 and disc protrusion at L3-L4.
  • WeebleWobbleWWeebleWobble Posts: 84
    edited 01/12/2014 - 12:22 PM
    I will start PT hopefully next week and will see if that will help with the pain. Yes, Lansur I agree it changes your life with what you are able to do and even what you enjoyed in the past seems to be a chore when you are in chronic pain. I don't have any family or friends near me and I must say I am getting tired of my own company, lol. So no wonder the depression sets in for many of us. Like I said hopefully the PT will help or I think my next move is gonna be a pain management DR. which is not what I look forward to. And I have also been let go of my job as it has been 6 months I have been of work. So I take it one day at a time, at least I have a husband to help me out.
    Take Care, Irene
    Orlando Florida
    4 Level ACDF
    October 15th, 2013
  • I have the same problem with my spine curving in the opposite direction. After my surgery last February I had some pain between my shoulders but not like you're describing. I have my next surgery a week from Tuesday to fix what he didn't (nothing fused) but I am going to the neurosurgeon I had for my lower back three years ago who did excellent work! I hope things get better for you!