Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Marijuana as pain reflief

BadbackrobBBadbackrob Posts: 42
edited 01/11/2014 - 5:13 PM in Pain Medications
There seems to be an increased amount of discussion on the web concerning the decriminalization of marijuana in Colorado, plus the ability of certain USA citizens (I'm an Australian) to obtain weed legally for medical treatment.

I'm really interested in hearing from fellow "bad backers" as to what their thoughts are with regards to using weed to deal with pain.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a argument that heavy use of weed can create other medical problems, but, I'd like to know what others think concerning weed use for pain management. Heavy use of opiate based meds can't be good either, but, that's another issue.

It is 100% illegal where I live. You get caught with it, you get a criminal record.

By the way, I have been told (can't say who, sorry, but a government person), the only reason it's still illegal in Australia is because the governments haven't calculated a method to collect tax on the sale of weed.

Best wishes to all and hope your feeling ok today.
More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....

• I haven't tried it since I hurt my back but I just wanted to add that I'm in Australia too and I don't think you get a criminal record if you get caught with a small amount, at least not where I have lived (SA and Vic). Getting caught with a small amount is not such a big deal, although yes, it is illegal.
  • There was a story I saw yesterday about this and there is a liquid medicine made from pot that has very little THC in it, but it is literally curing seizures in children and is INCREASING cognitive skills.

If they find a pain management component with the liquid, I'd like to try it. I will not smoke it though. Lord knows I have enough medical issues now as it is; I don't need to throw emphysema in there with it!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 01/14/2014 - 4:06 AM
    And you will find scores of previous threads that have discussed the pros and cons of this topic.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • unfortunately, I live in a non-medical state...geez, by the time those old Republican geezers die off over in Nashville, I'll be dead and buried before someone who is not too scared to mention the dreaded "M" word steps up to the plate. You can't even buy wine in grocery stores around here...that said,

even in medical states, I imagine it would be hard to find a pain management doctor who is kosher with allowing you to smoke in addition to him prescribing any opiates. I truly believe I would benefit from it, but I don't think that it would take away enough of the pain for me to completely stop taking any pills...I would see myself being able to drastically reduce what I'm currently taking, but that would be it...but I may be wrong. Even that, in my mind, would still be better in the long run. If it was medically allowed here, I would withdraw from pain management care long enough to get a card and see if that would be enough to take care of my pain...if so, then it would be full steam ahead...if not, then I would give myself time to get clean before starting pain management again...but I would at least appreciate the opportunity to find out

I've always enjoyed it, but I've been on a 13 year "no smoking plan"...and that will not be changing any time soon

I don't even see a lot of pain management doctors being okay with it when it's legal if they are Rx you...which is silly...it surely is not going to slow your respiration down like drinking 8 beers while taking 300mg of morphine may

just my view on it
  • Many thanks for the comments.

Yes, I saw the Tv article where a girl who was having 60-70 epileptic seizures per day and diagnosed with a short life span gets onto the liquid weed and the neurosurgeons, neurologists etc are astounded. She is basically seizure free!!!

McJimjam - you get caught with it in NSW, you get a criminal record. 170 people went through the drug court in Parramatta after attending a music festival for possession of weed and other drugs.

Dilauro, yes, I've read a lot of the posts. With the changes going on in US, I just wondered if some peoples mind set would change.

I'm not a pharmaceutical expert (despite having a garbage bin house all my pills), but, when you see a young girl go from 60-70 seizures a day to zip, you really have to ask "what on earth is going here?"

Do others have the right to tell those suffering in pain or with other issues that weed can fix, "sorry, but, because we can't tax it yet, your a criminal."

I'm certainly going to look into the Australian product.

If I simply wanted to get stoned and wasn't suffering, buying drugs these days is easier to get than getting a haircut, sadly.

• I'm almost 62 and I was a hippy back when. I out grown the drug days, but I decided to see if any relief from it. I don't want to get stoned anymore just relief from some of my pain. I have had 3 back surgeries the last was 2 disk implants from the front, Anyway I can say it relieves what I call stress pain or irritability. I am a bear when I'm in pain and I almost lost my wife. I remember the old saying you never see anyone fighting from smoking dope. I may get a legal card in my state to try different strains for a more controlled relief. My pain meds don't help with this problem.
  • I used to be a huge "stoner" before I had chronic pain. Now I honestly just don't like the way it makes me feel. I live in Washington state. They did pass the law to legalize it, it just isn't available to buy yet. We also have legal medical use here. I've tried smoking it, edibles, drops, salves.., you name it. It helps distract me I guess but like I said, I don't like the way it makes me feel. I don't feel functional on it. To get enough pain relief I have to use a lot but then I'm too high to do anything. I become a total couch potato. I know lots of people where they get motivated and can function on it, I really wish it helped me more because it's a great alternative to pain medicine and I believe it's better for you than opiates.

I do occasionally eat an edible before bed because it does help me sleep sometimes. Sleep is probably what I struggle with the most. I'm lucky if I get 4 straight hours of sleep at a time. I should probably experiment with more edible for my sleep issue.

I almost forgot, the other issue for me is that I have a lot of anxiety and I feel that weed really amplifies it. That's another big reason I don't like it.

I'm sorry you are unable to try it. That's frustrating!
  • I don't have a written contract with my pain management doctors (got in under the wire..), but those who do shouldn't be using anything that is not prescribed for them, as in street drugs. It can get them kicked out of the treatment plan.

If it were made legal and it was okayed by my PM doctor, I'd take something if it got me to sleep for 6 hours at a stretch. It would have to be non-smokable, as I have severe asthma.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • In the days I'd smoke a ounce in a week, now it maybe 3 puffs a day I don't like stoned. You could ingest it cookies or brownie's. The thing that got me thinking was the effects different strains have or could do. I know some strains will help you sleep and if you ingest it the effects last longer. I'm finding it's a fine line to get relief without getting stoned, a small workable buzz is what I think helps me. I can tell you pain changes me into a unbearable person and mean and I welcome anything that helps with that. Pain overwhelms me I wish I could be more tolerant of it.
  • Many thanks for the comments.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cheers and hope you are doing ok today.