Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More surgery

Just saw surgeon the other day. I have had anterior and posterior surgery on neck, most around c4-5-6. Now surgeon tell me I need anterior surgery for C3-4. If i dont get it, I may start to exhibit fine motr skill problems and ultimately loss of bladder. He says if I wait until I start having symptoms, it will be too late and damage is permanent. This is a different surgeon than the one who did two previous surgeries as I lost confidence in him.

This surgeon is rather young, about 34/35 and has he has done plenty of them and it is rather routine. Any ideas?

• PattyNJaxPPattyNJax Posts: 20
    edited 01/12/2014 - 11:13 AM
    I just had C4-C7 done and my neuro said that one of the signs of nerve damage is not being able to hold in your pee. He said you should be able to hold it for at least 20 min. Since I can't, he did nerve testing to check for nerve damage. The results were "unremarkable";however, due to my severe cervical spinal stenosis and my hernias from C2-C7, surgery was not an option and these needed to be surgically addressed, which they were with my neurosurgeon. I don't quite understand what the relation is between the bladder and the nerves, but this was told to me by my GP, my brother who's an ER doc, my neuro and my surgeon. Have you had nerve testing done?
    2013-4 Level ACDF C4-C7 herniation with severe spinal stenosis at C4-C5. .Bulging disk at L3-L4, and L4-L5. Herniation at L5-S1. As of 8/29/14 Bulging disc at L2-L5-S1 and disc protrusion at L3-L4.
  • I never thought that not being able to hold it was a problem with my neck. I have multiple cervical spine issues that just all of a sudden showed up one day, but I have had the problem where I can't hold it for a couple of years now.
    I always thought when they asked about bladder control that it was not knowing that I had to pee, not that I couldn't hold it very long. I had a nerve test done on my arms and it didn't show anything unusual, except it said I had carpal tunnel in both wrists, but that isn't what is causing this problem. As far as I know I don't have any issues lower than T1, but then again that is where my mri stopped. Thanks for posting
  • depending on the level, can cause problems in other areas of the body, so yes, cervical problems can result in problems with the bladder or bowels, breathing, diaphragm, and other body organs, depending on what level is effected. The higher up the damage, the longer it is left untreated, can result in permanent injury and loss of function.