Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 months post op losing hope

broken77bbroken77 Posts: 37
edited 02/01/2014 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all im new to this site I am 5 weeks out from a laminotomy/foraminotomy L4/L5-L5/S1 and had some questions regarding if what I am feeling is normal. The post op pain wasn't too bad but about 3 or 4 days after the surgery the nerve pain came back in the hip foot and calf. I was convinced that the surgery failed or I some how reherniated but the surgeon said that it was normal being that the nerve was compressed for so long before the surgery. I injured it almost a year ago at work (law enforcement) and tried everything under the sun to heal it chiropractic , pt , injections and nothing helped. Anyway since christmas day it has improved allot but still painful, everyone involved pt and surgeon says its normal and it will take time but I am kind of getting scared that I am going to live with this forever. I want to be the man, father, and officer I was a year ago. Any one out there have the same issue and what are you doing to stay active I try and walk a couple of miles a day and do my pt at home as well as with my physical therapist. At home is basically single leg raises back bridges and a stretch or two. Also anyone have any luck with symbalta or lyrica a co worker had success with one of them ...cant remember which one. I am just worried that the doctors are just giving me lip service my wife thinks im just paranoid and should relax and enjoy my time home.

• I am going on 2weeks post op L5,S1 nerve pain right side. after the surgery I felt good in a couple days the pain has crept back to prior surgery pain. My Dr said it will take time to heal how are u doing now I am also law Enforcement
  • Agp,
    The surgery pain is completely gone its the nerve pain is still there its gotten better and yesterday I actually had a good day went to pt ready to kick ass so the pt asked if I wanted to try the leg press. Bad idea im hurting today. Do you still get the pain leg and if so where for me its in my hip and butt also my foot. I have been off pain meds for 3 weeks even though the surgeon wanted me to continue. How long do you plan on staying home ?
  • I had similar experience immediately after open laminectomy and decompression five months ago.. Immediate improvement and numbness was going away nicely.. I was actually "ahead of the recovery curve" on my first follow up... Then, the tightness, numbness, imbalance, and nerve pain revisited.. I went through 8 weeks of Phys Therapy with some decent results.. Cleared for most activities and exercise after three months, (other than dead lift).. I swim between 440 and 800 yards every other day and core / cardio / light reisistence and many reps burn on opposite days.. The trouble is, afterward it takes at least two days to recover... When I'm tired, the symptoms all come back with a vengeance.. And, I have to lay low for a couple of days.. I'm 63, so the recovery time is to be expected, I guess.. Just don't overdo it or try to "rush" your recovery.. You can do more harm than good...I've been told it takes at least a year to somewhat fully recover.. "Listen to what your body is telling you".. I have had "breakthrough days" where I thought real progress was at hand... followed by setback days of total regression.. This is going to take time.. Good luck.

• Wow Carl it sounds like your doing great man. I wish I could do half of what your doing.

Well no luck reach doc today because of the Holliday the office is closed Will try tomorrow. Also on top of thing I am faaaaat !!! I gained almost 30 lbs since I first got injured .... I can't wait to get back in the gym.
  • broken77bbroken77 Posts: 37
    edited 01/20/2014 - 2:21 PM
    So depressing trying give my son a bath and cant sit in the same spot. Cant bend down and play with him sucks
  • broken77, Hey, thanks for the encouragement.. We can all use that.. I have been overweight for a long long time.. I can tell you, as I am sure your Doctor has, dropping excess weight is instrumental in your recovery process.. Again, do not rush the exercise regimen.. And, for crying out loud, do not LIFT anything remotely heavy...I made that mistake and paid for it big time.. Short walks more often is better than a long walk followed by sitting on your exhausted behind.. A good Physical Therapist will help also.. Have fun with your son, safely, and keep the faith.. It will get better..
  • broken77bbroken77 Posts: 37
    edited 01/27/2014 - 2:06 PM
    so I made an appointment for a second opinion with a doctor that that I saw when I injured my neck/cspine who advised to put off the surgery for as long as I can which I am. Looking back I should have listened to my wife and went to him for the Lumbar surgery, BUT my pt and chiro referred me to the surgeon that performed the surgery on my back. On top of still having nerve pain this guy doesn't call me back at all. On both of my visits after the surgery he stated it was too early to get another mri and the nerve pain is normal, been calling them for over a week now maybe two. he may be right but something has to give with this because at this point I totally regret the surgery. Today I was at physical therapy and met two people that had lumbar surgery and looked like they got a new lease on life both said they had absolutely no nerve pain and they were 4 weeks and 5 weeks out from surgery. I am at wits end with this even the pt seems to be aggravating it. Im just gonna take a few days off and do nothing but walk.
  • A few days off is wise.. If you have access to a pool, you might try slow walking in about waist deep water.. Just hanging on the ladder or edge of pool is relaxing as well.. just don't over do it.. good luck.
  • Almost 2months post op I am really losing faith and regretting this surgery. I cant believe how much this injury change my life I am nothing like I used to be
  • Hey, guys I am very nervious. I am now 3 week after my surgery. I am still getting tingling in my leg and i am also getting tingling in my fingers but this is little bit but my pain goes down now can u pls help me about this that what i have to do for my recovery . Pls pls pls
  • I had ALIF L5-S1 over two years ago and they said it can take 18-24 months for the nerves to heal. They have been compressed and aggravated for a long time and nothing is happening fast in recovery. That said, it's also possible htat the damage is permanent. Mine is. Dr said we waited too long and now the damage is done. The surgery helped the back pain some but the nerve pain got progressively worse ending up with a Spinal Cord Stimulator two years later. SCS has been a welcome addition and although it helped tremendously at first it has graudlaly lessened. STILL, 70% relief is welcome and anything greater than 50% is called a success. I am still grateful for the SCS solution.
    Patience and follow the suggestions for recovery are the only things you can do for now.
  • Carl OswaldCCarl Oswald Posts: 66
    edited 02/04/2014 - 4:23 AM
    It is very very difficult for active, athletic people to just "turn it off" for an extended period of time while we recover from spine surgery.. But, from my own personal experience, you MUST "turn it off" for a while.. Do exactly what the Neuro and Therapist tell you and nothing more... I lifted a bucket of water about two months ago, stumbled, and fell.. didn't feel to much pain or injure anything, I thought.. And, I just picked up and moved on.. seemed like no harm no fowl.. Well, in the past few weeks I have totally relapsed with the Neuropathy, partial paralysis, cramping, and pain in my legs and back... I can barely stand or walk... Had my six month follow up yesterday.. Neuro says he is surprised at my lack of progress and that I should be playing golf, jogging, whatever....He ordered another MRI to see what the heck is going on.. Back to square one... I am so freakin frustrated I could just spit nails.. Moral of the story, spinal injuries and problems are nothing to fool around with.. Turn off the endorfins until you're completely healed and don't try to do too much too early.. Good luck.