Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has any one been prescribed ametrypaline for for pain? did you gain weight and what does did you go up to?

• sorry what 'dose' were you prescribed...previously typo 'does'
  • Hi. I have had bad sciatica, either leg, for many years. My doctor suggested amitryptyline about two years ago and though it does not stop episodes coming on, it has made a difference. It is a nerve painkiller. In large doses it is used for mental problems, for pain it is given in smaller doses, is not addictive and you can stay on it a long time with no other problems. I find I sleep better in general and it has no effect on weight. My doc allows me to increase the dose a little when I need to. Take it a night. It won't really work without your other painkillers, but may make a big difference ... I was vy glad to be given it. Good luck.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 01/23/2014 - 1:03 AM
    It can be used as an anti depressant but I am on Amitryptaline at night for sleep. I didn't think it made any difference at first but if I forget to take it I am wide awake and really notice the pain flare in the morning. So it must work for my pain at night. If you are using it for sleep you need to take it around 4 hours before you want to sleep. I was working so couldn't cope if I had no sleep.

I never drive after I have taken it as it can make you very sleepy. If I am going out anywhere at night I skip the dose. It really works for me and is non addictive and not an SSRI. I take 50 mgs now but was on 25mgs for years.

I didn't gain any weight with it either - I think it is a relatively safe medication but be careful if combining it with other medications, especially SSRI's as I had a really bad reaction until I realised I had been given SSRI's as well. You can check contraindications on drugs.com, there are quite a few with amitryptaline.
  • thanks everyone for your insight in to this medication.