Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 weekpost op- 2nd surgery 25 years ago

Hello all
I just found this site and am happy to share my story and communicate with others on the board. After all back problems/surgery is just as much mental as it is physical. I'm a 56 year old male is who just had laminectomy on l5/s1 on 1-10-14 for the second time. My first surgery was in 1988 -my have things changed.( I had no one to talk too)
In 1988 I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at the hospital emergency room where took some x-rays with contrast and I was on the operating table the next day. I remained in pain for about two years went through rehab, water aerobics, steriod injections and returned to my previous job on a light duty performance. I could not work physical labor anymore so I went to college and became a math teatcher- A job- I now love. So in an akward way my back problems changed my life in a good way. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is- if you are young and going through back issues try to use this as an oppurtunity to do something else that will satisfy you for the rest of your life.
From about 1992-2013 I had very little back problems. I had the normal stiffness and soreness that most people would have when they over work their back. Also,a few times during that time period I had a few bouts with nerve pain that kept me limping and struggling to walk but these usually on lasted a few weeks, which brings to my main point for writing my story. I believe its all about posture and vulnerability when your back is in a critical state- when things in your back are not all correctly aligned when this ocurrs, be very careful untill the pain subsides. (listen to your back)
As for my second surgery, I didn't pay attention to my back when it started to hurt and within a few moths of playing disc golf with friends, cutting down trees, tilling the garden- I reherniated the same disc.
It took me two months to find a surgeon that do a micro/ lamineomctomy and not talk about a fusion. At 56 I have a little arthritis, stenosis and few other areas that have degenerative disc diesease from age.
Like I said earlier my have things changed. My incision is 1/2 the size as the first surgery issue and the pain seems to also be more tolerable than before. I'm now 1 week post op and my main concern is nerve damage and scar tissue from the previous surgery.
The first three days after surgery were terrible the last four have been somewhat encouraging - my pain is about 2 or 3, on a scale of 1-10, of course I'm still on pain meds muscle relaxers and steriod pak. I'm using this compression belt like a security blanket I have it on all the time except for showers. I lay flay with legs up and only sit in firm chair with arm rests and a stright back, I notice the better my posture the better my back feels. I never never never want to do this again.
I truly wish all of you who are facing surgery a quick, and full recovery-life is too short to take time (months-years) to be in pain and not enjoy your time here.

• SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 01/17/2014 - 9:37 AM
    So cool to hear how things have changed medically and that you are so positive about your situation. Best of luck to you in your continued recovery!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • jgt4541jjgt4541 Posts: 3
    edited 01/17/2014 - 10:41 AM