Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is leaning over a table the same as bending? (I know it's a dumb question LOL)

I know this sounds like a dumb question but do you think leaning over elevated tables, they come up to my hip joint, is the same as bending? I only have 1 week left with my back brace and next week I will be 6 weeks post op. I'm just dieing to get my quilt pinned out!

Anne
ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
advertisement

Comments

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 01/20/2014 - 5:35 AM
    This just made me laugh! If you are wearing a brace an bending at the hip you should be good... is it a hard brace? My opinion, WAIT the extra week. I know how hard that is, but its the best decision. If you can't wait the week, speak to your PT about it. They are the ones that taught me how to properly bend at the hip. I'd love to see a picture of the quilt :)
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • It's not a dumb question, and actually it is a very important question as your health depends on it.
    IMHO, yes, it is bending.
    On which level did you have surgery?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I'd say it's the same as bending. How long did your surgeon tell you not to do that? The standard is 3 months.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 06/17/2016 - 1:02 PM
    Think it is Annie, in fact quilting will be a shocker for your spine. Have a look at page 3 of this article. There is a diagram of the different pressure. Ron posted it a while ago and I have permission to post the link.

Maybe you might be able to get away with it if you take frequent breaks. The worst thing for you is going to be sewing the quilts.

The best thing to do is to raise the table so you don't have to bend so far. Happy quilting.
  • Allmetal, it's a soft brace and I'm not doing PT at least not yet and I hope I don't have to as I think it's all just a racket anyway. I might do home exercises but I think I'm better off in my aqua fit classes that I'd been doing for 2 yrs. Also I can PM you a picture of the quilt top I just finished if you want!

Paul, it's my 2nd L4-L5 fusion. My 1st one was anterior and at broke sometime shortly after it started to fuse therefor never did fuse.

Steve, Surgeon said 6 weeks. OMG I hope he doesn't up it to 3 mo or I might lose my mind! LOL

Thoracic spine pain, I do take many, MANY breaks! Nooooooooooooo I love quilting! :( I'll go look at Ron's link now.

Anne
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,047
    is the degree that you extended yourself.
    I didnt know this before, but after my first hip replacement in 2011, there was a restriction about no more than a 90 degres movement.

The same applies to your back. If you reach over a table, you are not exceeding any degree limitation, but if you overstretch, you could put your surround muscles into danger, which then could lead to xxxx and that could lead to yyyyy.

So, its always better to be on the side of caution and try not to do things that could be you in harms way
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Annie-mAAnnie-m Posts: 108
    edited 01/21/2014 - 8:00 AM
    The article link that was posted by the smiling cat person was very interesting!I I happy to see that sitting up straight isn't much of a problem. I do sit mostly straight when I sew. I also noticed that basic leaning forward isn't the worst thing I could do compared to some other things. By chance are you aware of any reason or situation where a surgeon has had a patient wear the back brace longer than the 6 weeks? I have one week to go from today and I'm just hoping that I don't get my bubble burst. I do remember him saying that doing my next visit they may do an xray to see if there's any movement in the joint but then he said "then again maybe we won't yet" The hardest part is that I feel perfectly fine but I have to live/act like I'm not LOL!

Anne
  • My surgery was Oct 28 and I'm still in the brace. My surgeon puts all of his lumbar fusion patients in a brace for 3 months plus all of the restrictions for the same period of time. I see him next week for my 3 month post-op appointment and will be able to stop wearing the brace as long as my xrays look good. He doesn't do xrays before 3 months as that is generally the earliest you'll see new bone growth.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • That was my bubble bursting. Maybe since this is my second go around and I've had the disc spacer in for 3 yrs it will help.
  • Jilro14534JJilro14534 Posts: 69
    edited 01/23/2014 - 2:55 PM
    My doctor has had me wean off my brace after 6 weeks. I still wear it when I am driving, as it gives me a false sense of security. Also if I am outside, since we have alot of snow and ice, I feel better. He feels that sometimes if you wear the brace to long, it will weaken your back muscles and also it causes hip discomfort. I am back to work part time and I can feel the difference just moving side to side to open the drawer on my desk.I have more lower back discomfort, but it is tolerable. I am down to one oxicodine a day!.
  • I'm so glad to hear that! I hope that's what I get to do too. How well did you follow the restrictions? I had been doing well until these past couple of days. Tuesday will be my 6 week mark. If I have to wear it much more I'm going to remodel it for sure!

Anne
  • Jilro14534JJilro14534 Posts: 69
    edited 01/28/2014 - 6:50 AM
    I am usually not the best complant patient,thou this time i am listening pretty good. I'm careful when I bend as if I don't, I can feel pain. I am some what stiffer than I was before I went back to work. I think because I am not walking as much. When I come home from work, I am tired. More than I thought I would be. I am working half a day until I go back to the doc on February 7. I did vacuum a small area. Vacuuming bothered me less than sweeping. Hope you are doing well
advertisement