Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

S I Injection anyone?

I was told today that I should have a S I Injection to reduce my post-op pain and inflammation.

Has anyone else had this injection and did it help?

• I had one. It made all the difference. Got me pain free.

I went in at oh, around 10am or so, they numbed only my local back area and put me on the flouroscopy table. Next, they carefully advanced the needle into the disc area that was giving me problems (L5-S1). I did not feel the needle. They injected the medicine and procedure over!

My left leg was totally numb. Since I had driven myself there and was alone, they kept me there for safe keeping until I regained feeling. At noon, I was good to go and drove home.

Pain relief was not immediate. Around day 3, it started to go away. By day 7 I was totally pain free!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Yes, I had a left SI injection in 2008. At that time, I had been misdiagnosed with SI Joint Dysfunction. The injection was quite painful and I passed out after getting down from the table. Luckily, a male nurse was standing nearby and saw me go as white as a sheet and caught me.

The injection obviously was not effective since my pain was discogenic in nature, but I am glad I tried it. I would make sure to ask for plenty of local lidocaine if I were to do it again. They can certainly give you some, and they can even do the injection "with sedation," but they didn't offer it to me, since the appointment needs to be booked that way from the start.

Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I've had my left SI joint injected at least 4 or 5 times over the years. My local orthopedic did them, never under flouroscope or with lidocaine. He just sprayed a cold liquid over the joint then did the injection. I've had SI joint dysfunction since I was in a car accident in 2006 and still get flare ups every once in awhile and the injections calm them down.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • The doc in NYC does not believe in "sedation" for injections
    He told me it will be "a piece of cake"

Yeah! Its my back not his LOL
    But I am looking forward to at least trying one to see if it helps

A deer totaled my car and then a year later I was in anither car accident, hummmmmm maybe Steve T
    Is onto something and maybe it is because of the car accidents?????

Valentines Day is the day I get the injection....I will update you all

Hugs and Hershey Kisses
  • Hi Rose,

The pain management doctor told me I needed one as well. I asked my surgeon and he said no absolutely not right now don't do it. So I have decided to hold off for a bit at the direction of my surgeon. Hope you get some relief soon.
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 01/24/2014 - 5:47 AM
    I have had several si joint injections They are not bad, but my doctor numbs the area before he injects. I had good results with them. I hope you do too. Keep us posted.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I've missed hearing from you! I've been hanging out over in the Spinal Cord Stimulator forum, as I had my permanent SCS implant surgery on Christmas Eve.

I've had several injections - both with and without sedation. While I obviously prefer "with" sedation, "without" is not horrible. It is slightly uncomfortable/painful, but it is over very quickly, so it's not too bad.

Thinking good thoughts for you as you get your injection, and I hope it brings you blessed relief!

• Thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for your replies to the SI injections

I had never heard of this type of injection and really hope it helps me

My surgery was in August and my biggest problem is changing position...
    Lying down - getting off of the bed
    Sitting down-standing up

Sometimes I get " stuck" half way through my motions, like in an "L" shape at 90 degrees

Know what I mean????

So the PA and pain mgmt thinks an SI I njection would be helpful
    My Physical therapist thinks this type of injection is "hooey" but I feel its worth a try.

Special hugs to my buds Ben and Becky- been wondering how you were doing

• I had 2 SI joint injections for pain in my buttocks and hips. It did help me a lot.