Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T10-Pelvis fusion (no cages) restrictions??

As the days get closer I get more nervous (and post more questions...sorry). I'm confident that this is the right decision, but I'm still scared. Anyone thats had a comparable fusion (lower lumbar) can you tell me after all is said and you are "healed" and moved on with life what are the restrictions you find yourself dealing with?

He's talked to me about how I can't curl into a ball anymore (which he said is bad posture regardless), but that I'll be able to bend at the waist like I can now.

My PCP did a pre-op this morning and since I'm young (30) she mentioned restrictions for sex positions (sorry for TMI I don't mean to be offensive!).

But that got me thinking just in general... I know during recovery almost everything is limited, but once it's all said and over what do you find yourself unable to do at all that you could do before?

And I don't mean anything extreme like skydiving or zip lining... fortunately I've done those things! Just daily things that I might not realize at this time...

• SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 01/23/2014 - 12:53 PM
    Hello texasgirl,

Glad you're nervous, because this IS major surgery and it'd be a bit strange if you were not. I had L4-L5-S1 fused almost exactly a month ago and so far I am doing really well. It's not an overnight success (like some people wake up post-surgery and are pain free); but each day gets better, I think.

Waking up after surgery was bad - talk about a world of pain! My suggestion is to definitely have some close family and friends present in your hospital room to support you and help you get through those first really, really tough couple of days. My hospital had a pull out bed and my mom stayed overnight with me and I wasn't alone at all. She helped tend to me, helping me roll over when my pain on one hip was too much, and to help me drink water and encourage me. It was really nice.

And yes, you're right about bending at the hip, vs curling your spine. A lot of people with chronic low lumbar pain automatically learn to bend that way from the pain; you just have to ensure your core muscles are strong enough before you can do it. You can do some core training ahead of your surgery, and it will be worth it in the end.

I'm also wearing a back brace post surgery and for 3 months. It helps me remember my BLT restrictions and gives me some support. Will you have a brace? As far as being able to move around, it gets a little easier each day and I'm pretty capable of light housework and taking care of myself and children now.

I wish you luck with your surgery. Take care!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1