Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming surgery for scoliosis/kyphosis correction.

NQuasidNNQuasid Posts: 3
edited 01/22/2014 - 11:02 AM in Scoliosis

I am new to the spine-health forums. I will be having a spinal osteotomy and spinal fusion to correct scoliosis and kyphosis from T5-L4/5 on 17th April. I have never had any major surgery before and am quite nervous. I will tell you a little about how I came to develop the conditions as well as other spinal problems.

On 31st August 1992 one week before my 8th birthday, I was in a very serious car accident. My sister was driving and my niece who is the same age as me was in the front passenger seat. Both my sister and niece walked away without a single scratch; however I wasn't so fortunate. That one accident has impacted my life ever since. I don’t know the exact cause of the accident. I was told I had to be cut out of the car by the fire service as the back of the car was completely crushed. I was told I was very lucky that I wasn't wearing my seat belt as it would have either decapitated or strangled me.

I had multiple injuries and had to be resuscitated on the way to hospital. I had broken my back and damaged my spinal cord at T11/12 which left me paralysed from the waist down. I had broken my ribs and punctured my lungs which had to be drained of blood. I also broke my collar bone as well other bone fractures and a lot of bruising all over my body. I was kept in intensive care and for a few weeks was in a coma. I eventually awoke and once stabilised I was transferred to a Spinal Injuries Centre where I spent approximately a year of my life. I was flat on my back for about 6 months and had lost all movement and sensation in my lower body. I was very poorly for a long time as my calcium levels built up and due to the spinal injury I developed problems with kidney function as well as bladder and bowel problems. After a long time of being in hospital the doctors decided that they would let me go home for one day at Christmas. That was the turning point for me and it gave me my determination back to get well and go home for good.

Once I was back at hospital I started to work very hard with the physiotherapist and although I had no movement or sensation in my legs, I was determined to get out of my wheelchair and up on the walking frame. I remember the first time my toes started twitching. Although I couldn't feel it, if I concentrated I could just about make my toes move on one foot. After that I started to get some sensation back in one leg but it was lifeless. Every slight touch against my foot was agony. Gradually I started to get more movement in the other leg but I couldn't feel it. With very intense therapy I gradually built my strength and I gained more and more movement and sensation in my legs. I eventually went from a wheelchair to a walking frame and then to crutches and my mobility progressed everyday over years. I stopped using a wheelchair when I was about 12/13. The doctors were amazed at my progress and I eventually returned home and went back to school. I had to go back to the spinal hospital regularly as a child and am still an outpatient and visit every 3 years now to monitor my kidneys and to review my spine.

I had to wear a body brace from the age of 9-16. I had to wear it all the time apart from in bed. I also had to wear special orthopaedic boots. I started developing scoliosis and kyphosis as I was growing as a result of the spinal cord damage. It never caused me any problems or pain and it stabilised around 40 degrees aged 16. Due to my spinal cord damage the doctors were very reluctant to do anything about the scoliosis and kyphosis.

I lead a fairly normal and active life during my early 20’s and went to university. It is only in the last 3-4 years (from about age 27) that I have started having problems with my back and uncontrollable pain. I started having problems with pain around 2010. I have been getting a lot of pain in my lower back,pelvis/hips and right leg.. I have been to pain clinics and tried TENS, CBT as well as physiotherapy.I have seen spinal consultants about my curvatures, yearly since 2008. They confirmed my scoliosis is now approx 48 degrees and kyphosis is 57 degrees. In 2013 I had a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my SI joints and facet joints. I also have degeneration of facet joints from T10 down and spine/facet degeneration in L2/L3/L4. As well as the spine problems I also developed a syrinx(cyst) on my spinal cord at T12 and a softening of the spinal cord at T11/12.The spinal cord damage has left me with right side numbness and weakness in my hip and top leg. The spinal cord damage also causes me to suffer chronic constipation which is managed with medication.

Last year I had facet block injections from T10 downwards and my consultant has come to the conclusion that my curvatures are contributing to pain. I I am currently managing pain with mltiple pain medication as well as alternative therapies such as osteopathy and pilates. My pain levels fluctuate and most days are difficult but on very bad days my ability to function normally is affected as I cannot sit, stand or walk a few steps without being in agony. The injections helped but gradually wore off after a couple of months and pain is causing me a lot of problems again. In the meantime I am doing my best to manage working part time (I was working full time but can no longer manage) for Social Services but this is now a real struggle due to the increasing pain and decline in mobility.

In April I will be having a two stage surgery. The first part will be a Spinal Osteotomy. My surgeon explained that he will have to remove some disc/facet joints from my spine. This is being done as parts of my spine are already fused into position as a result of the way my spinal injury healed 21 years ago. He needs to do this as my spine can't be manipulated/corrected without removing the existing fused bone. The second surgery will realign/correct my spine from T5 to L4/L5 with titanium rods and pedicle screws either side.

I have been told I will lose a lot of movement in my spine but it will stabilise the curvatures and improve my posture/alignment. The alternative would to be fuse my spine as it is without correcting the curvature but this reduces chance of pain improving so I have opted for the first procedures.

My surgeon explained the risks of spinal cord/nerve damage during surgery are increased in my case from 1/1000 to 1/100 due to my existing spinal cord damage/scar tissue, syrinx and myelomalacia. He did explain that my spinal cord will be monitored closely during surgery and if there are any issues/concerns then the surgery will be aborted to avoid risk of paralysis etc. He also made me aware of other risks associated with spinal surgery such as bleeding, blood clots, infection, failed fusion, hardware failure etc.

My surgeon has been very reassuring though and told us has never caused cord/nerve damage during spinal surgery and has had high success rates with these procedures. He also confirmed that carrying out surgery was reasonable in my case as I had tried all alternatives to manage pain, and he would not carry it out if there weren't any potential benefits. Although surgery does not guarantee pain will improve, he said various tests/diagnosis indicate my pain correlates with the scoliosis/kyphosis so hopefully there will be an improvement.

I will have to wear a body brace for 3-6 months to restrict my movement.and eventually start physiotherapy at about 6 months. I have been told recovery can take a year plus to get back to ‘normal activities’ but this varies with each patient, complications etc.

I have started my pre op tests and trying to think of all the things I need to prepare at home for my recovery. Like I said I am nervous but I have faith this will be the right thing for me to do.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/22/2014 - 10:56 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery