Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still having pain after surgery please help

agp1021aagp1021 Posts: 20
I am almost 3 weeks post op for a laminotomy discectomy L5-S1 right/side
(1) My surgery was on Friday 03, 2014 after my surgery was done I woke up in the recovery room very sore. I spent the night in the hospital, the next day I woke up I was shocked that the pain in my butt/leg was gone. I walked around the hospital hall with a walker, and a P/T aid. once discharged I went home and started the healing process.

(2) Holy xxx did the pain return in a 2 days but it was no big deal so I thought cause I have been on Oxycodone. Upon visiting my surgeon to get my staples out my back I asked the my Doctor about my pain. He said don't worry the pain will go away it takes a long time for the nerve to heal. The nerve was moved around and inflamed. My Doctor gave me Methyiprednisolone round of steroids to help with healing process.

(3) I need to know from other people what the road ahead is like I feel like this nerve is never gonna heal it seems that the longer the road the more this nerve is hurting me. I almost feel like it will never get better, any idea how long I can get any real if from this pain.

• I am one week post-op for the same issue. I realize that only a week has gone by, but I have pain and numbness
    that I didn't expect. Emotionally this is so difficult. I wonder if the surgery will be something I look back on as a good thing, or if I should have never done it. I am getting more anxious because I don't know if my pain and numbness are normal.
  • I must say I didn't think I would ever get any relief for the pain in my butt/leg. I was in so much pain that I had my DR. order a new MRI to make sure the surgery worked, and there was nothing still on the nerve. But since last monday the pain in my leg is gone however I still have discomfort in the butt area. The pain is very little, I started doing some walking about 15 mins a day.
  • Hi. After my Discectomy, I did have pain, but it was "different". I really felt like I had turned a corner at 4 weeks out. My surgery was in December and by March I was off pain medications and even no OTC meds. It was such a relief.

Of course I reinjured the area and/or my spinal stenosis got worse(?) in July. Worse symptoms, electric pains, awful! So another surgery in October, which got me back to where I was before the first surgery. AAAARRRRGHHH! I don't think that's typical.

So I'm saying, if you do what you're supposed to, there might come the day you realize you not only haven't taken any medication, but you haven't even THOUGHT about your back/legs for a day or two.

Good Luck!
    26/11/2013 TKR Left Knee
    14/05/2013 TKR Right Knee
    20/07/2010 Arthroscopy Right Knee
    07/10/2008 REDO Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1(ongoing pain Left Leg: cramps hamstring & thigh, numb toes)
    14/12/2007 Lumbar Discectomy L5-S1
  • Fusion2002FFusion2002 Posts: 2
    edited 02/07/2014 - 4:12 PM
    A few years before I finally had to have a fusion, I had the exact same surgery you're describing at the same level. I, too, had quite a bit of pain. My surgeon prescribed Hydrocodone, & gradually the pain eased up. I used to walk gentle laps up & down my driveway a couple times a day, which seemed to help, & was back at my desk job in 3 weeks.
  • Hello agp1021,

I too still have sciatic nerve pain after the Oct. 10, 2013 laminectomy/discectomy lumbar surgery around my lowest two discs. So I am trying to find a med that STOPS the pain. I posted a new message to this forum today regarding my experience with Gabapentin. It hasn't yet stopped the pain. I hope you can find sustained relief soon!