Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Spiney's Oath

This afternoon, after exchanging some posts with a member, I brought up the word Spiney. A little while later, it came to me,

What is a Spiney ?

What are their responsibilities, but in medical terms, the The Spiney Oath We ar not bound by the Hippocratic oath, in fact, I dont thing we are bound by anything. So what are we?

Any person who has

• - Started to feel the symptoms of a spinal problem
    - Has needed to go beyond their Primary Care Physician to try to identify their problem
    - Has had some type of conservative treatment (Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, massage, etc)
    - Has had some medication that is NOT over the counter
    - Has had some diagnostic test coming back and saying everything is normal, you should not be in pain
    - Has cried at least one time dealing with the pain
    - Has retreated to under the bed covers so as not to be seen
    - Has spent hours in the hot shower because it feels good
    - Has had Spinal surgery or surgeries
      1 surgeries = Novice Spiney 2 surgeries = Normal Spiney 3 surgeries = Advanced Spiney 4 or more = Doctorate of Spiney
- And many more

Spineys come in all shapes,sizes, styles and models. Spinal problems problems have never discriminated in terms of Age, Color, Religion,, Country, etc. In fact spine problems can effect anybody. However, at times and depending where you seek help, younger people may need to disguise themselves as being much older. Can make things a little easier.

When you first become a spiney, you may go through several phases

• Identification You just find out you have a spinal problem, what is that? You really dont know
    Confused There are so many different words, conditions, acronyms, tests - You feel a bit overwhelmed.
    Anger Now that you understand everything, you are mad, because why did this have to happen to you
    Acceptance Getting near the end, You know what you have , you know what you need to do and more
    Resolution You know everything that needs to happen Now and down the road and you will not let your condition get the best of you.
Now the Oath. This is important because I think we all understand that chronic pain does not always show itself . Those that have known me for a while, know that I talk about Chronic pain as being the BEAST. Why?

• - We never wanted it or invited it
    - We dont know when it will come again
    - It sits there sometimes dormant, waiting for you to get complacent and then it rises again to strike
    - It really never goes away, its always there, its up to you to tame this beast
    - Those that live full and enjoyable lives despite their spinal problems understand how to control the beast, While those that have given up, have allowed the beast to control them.

Once you are a spiney, you understand the pain and discomfort it can bring upon you. As such

• - Always need to be understanding towards others who have either just started this journey, or have been dealing with it for years.
    - Do not belittle anyone because they have different views on how to deal with chronic pain.
    - Do not chastise someone because that one of their actions to help themselves in reality was something that would hurt them in the long term.
    - Be understanding of the various moods that may surface on a fellow spiney.
    - Offer support to another spiney even when its difficult for you and difficult for them.
    - Educate others on the impacts of chronic pain.
    - Dont laugh at them ... Some of you may have noticed that in my signature line, I have a link to Peter Paul and Mary's "Dont Laugh at Me" video. Its something everyone should see.
Now, I may have taken some liberties here and make light of serious situations. I cant apologize for that, because I believe that pain and sorry goes hand and hand with laughter and humor. So next time you are dealing with another spiney, keep this in mind..

And what is so very important is when you are interacting with someone who is just entering the world of being a spiney,
practice all of this and remember at one time you were a novice spiney also

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com