Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Smoking after fusion

I had fusion 4 days ago on my c6-c7 and it went really well. I am already off the pain meds, walking around, working from home and I am going back to my masters program in 2 days. I am only 24 years old which helps.

Anyway i have insomnia and i have smoked medical marijuana at night and it really helps me without giving me violent nightmares like melatonin or the lucid dreams i get from the pain meds. I also tend to sleep on my stomach but have to sleep on my back post op which is very uncomfortable for me. Basically i cant sleep post op and I want to know if taking one drag off a joint here and there, not every day but only in desperate times, will greatly affect my fusion.

• Smoking wouldn't do any damage to your surgical site at all. I would smoke as much as you needed to without any worries. Good to hear you are doing so well.
    Spinal fusion T5-L3 Revision was a Failed surgery on March of 2012
    Kyphosis of the spine out of options.
  • I know my surgeon said no smoking for 6 months. Not sure if that applies to medical marijuana or not.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • I would smoke as much marijuana as you need. If you have a script, find a strain particularly good at pain management and insomnia. Nicotine in the key culprit to delaying fusion, not THC. We had the same level fusion on the same day, I'm 5 days out, hate trying to sleep on my back with the brace and pot has been the only thing to help me drift off. Also, try taking a calcium/vitamin d supplement to help any fusion delays from smoking nicotine. Depends on who you ask but I have a relative that smokes cigs like a chimney, has had almost every c level fused and never stopped smoking cigs. All fused fine, she did take calcium/ vit d supplements twice a day.
  • The best sleeping pill I've found and it's from a natural source. We put enough chemicals in our bodies with pain meds alone. Happy days and sleepy nights. Go for it!... ;)
  • I am guessing that it is medically prescribed, I would ask your doctor or surgeon that question. I don't know much about medical marijuana but depending on what it does to your body it may be a problem. I have been told to wait 6 months- a year for smoking even though I don't smoke at all. If you can I would just ask your surgeon to make sure because the last thing you want to do is risk your fusion not walking correctly because you thought it was ok but it wasn't.
  • I agree. You should ask your surgeon. Better safe than sorry.
  • Yes! you're right absolutely get the surgeons opinion. Not many doctors in their respective fields will advocate it's use though. MM is very different from tobacco. Best to do your own research on the subject so you can make an informed decision. Many varying opinions out there. :-)
  • I think it's fine to smoke mm I am 4days post op of a TILF I wasn't able to eat or sleep after I got home and the pain meds haven't been working either. MM is the only relief I have had on all accounts. It's the only thing that keeps me from screaming out in pain sometimes. I hope this helps. And I hope you feel better soon
    Kimberly taylor