Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anxious about MRI Findings

Hi All,

Long story as short as possible... I am 31 no health issues... I have had 6 "neck episodes: in the last 3 years and have always gone to the same urgent care/ doc in a box since I do not have a primary care physician tell them my same symptoms... and been given robaxin told I was having a muscle spasm. I would go home take the medicine and then in a few days be better... 8 days ago my "neck issue" happened again but this time it was debilitating... So the neck issue I am referring to is... all left sided... ear fullness, face feels "tired" headache the size of a quarter in the back of my skull, shoulder pain and neck stiffness... When it has happened it was "triggered" with things like this.... bent over and sneezed, answered the desk phone at worked and sneezed, sit up in the bed and sneezed, bent down to turn the bath faucet on for my children and sneezed... So back to last Thursday... Went to Urgent Care... told them when the pain started (turning on the faucet and sneezing) They took my Blood Pressure it was 152/95... normally it is always 110/70... looked into my eyes and the doctor sent me immediately for an MRI of my head... now remember I always go to that urgent care doctor and every other time he sends me home with robaxin.... he said he didn't like the pressure he saw behind my eye and that my blood presure was up since the past 9 years I have seen them for little things like my neck or the flu it had never been that high and he worried something was wrong... SO I had the MRI and he called me about 3 hours after my MRI told me the MRI showed a bad sinus infection and prescribed me antibiotics for the sinus infection... Well I kept waiting for my neck to get better and....it didn't. this past Wednesday night (6 days after the onset of neck pain) I could not sleep, couldn't be still and just felt inside that something was wrong and decided I had to go back to the doctor. I drove my kids to school and called the orthopedic that has seen my son for a broken bone in the past and who was originally recommended to me by my friends as a good ortho doc for my son and also thought that was the only connection to an ortho that I had and so I called to see if they could see me.... I explained my symptoms to the nurse and she got me in right away and I was so glad since I am a new patient to them.... So here is the main reason for my post.... I told him ALL symptoms... He did an xray and then came in the room. He said the xray looks fine but didn't show it to me... started testing my reflexes and then asked me if I could leave there and go straight for an MRI... I said yes... He then prescribed me a 7 day oral steroid pack, flexeril and norco... Please also remember I have never taken oral steroids or prescribed pain meds in my life... So I go get and MRI of my neck...and get a call from the nurse after the MRI and she says... You have a pinched nerve at c3/4 and c4/5 and the doctor wants me to come back in... I say let me look at my schedule and I will call you back... an hour later they called me again and said the doctor wants to see me on Monday so... I am going at 3:30 monday (tomorrow) Here is why I am posting....

In the office there were signs everywhere that said, "if you have an MRI please call the office 24 hours after your MRI we will not have results until then... so since i was called back so quickly I am a little "freaked out"... Also while "googling" I have read a lot of different things and I know I know that I cannot trust the internet but I am curious so I am just educatiing myself on the cervical spine and nerves,,,, A lot of things can cause a pinched nerve and it is common so why is this doctor calling me back so quick and... I guess my biggest question here is WHY did he prescribe me oral steroids after only seeing an xray??? I have several friends who have neck issues and they have pinched nerves but have NEVER taken oral steroids...
and they see the same ortho I am...

Of course this is NEW to me and I am freaking out a little probably just because of the unknown... And... these medications have taken the pain away but I am now having wierd sensations in my breast, butt, low back and leg all on the left side now while taking the meds but from all I have seen c3/4 and c4/5 shouldn't effect the legs, or butt unless there is a growth or something on it.... So please ignore typos and scattered points... I am just sitting here scared, worried and feeling all new little weird sensations that I have never felt before... My mind is probably playing tricks on me... so if you have any advice or thoughts please let me know... I thought maybe posting this and writing it out like a jornam would relive some of my anxiety about it today :-)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/26/2014 - 8:27 AM
    Duplicating posts........it is against forum rules to duplicate posts..the reason for this is having multiple threads on the same subject can reduce the number of responses, plus it creates confusion for the rest of the member community. Members do not know which thread to respond to. Then in the end you may have a number of different responds in different threads. Any thread continuity is then lost.

Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I also have a pinched nerve in my neck, my first visit to the doctor was not as nice as yours. The first visit he prescribed me 5 days of prednesone and flexeril. I was told to take ibuprofen if I needed anything for pain, but I couldn't take that with the prednesone so I had to wait 5 days before I could take anything. A lot of times from what I hear they prescribe the steroids because they can also help pulled muscles if they are bad but also because they are anti-inflammatory. My next doctor explained the spine to me, and told me my pinched nerveis at c4\c5 and c5\c6, he told me it I had one a c3\c4 that I would be feeling pains in my chest and think I am having a heart attack. I also have pain in my butt and my leg, also only on my left side. I get cramps in my feet too, and the longer I have this problem the more I get them.
    Let us know what the doctor said about your mri, hopefully you can be in for a quick recovery like the last couple of times.