Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acupuncture for back pain?

stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
edited 01/28/2014 - 12:09 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Has anyone tried acupuncture for back pain???

Please let us all know if it helped

Thanks and God bless

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    It worked, especially when I had multiple treatments. Bu I found that spacing treatments a couple of weeks apart and I did not get that same relief.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    I have been getting acupuncture weekly for about 3 1/2 months and I seem to get a little relief the day of treatment but it doesn't last long term. The dr seems to think it should work and seems to try different positions for the needles each time. He thinks my particular case is resistant but he thinks it should work. I am not sure if I am throwing my money away or if eventually I will get lasting relief?
    My experience maybe not everyone's
  • Thanks for your replies

Maybe after my SI Joint and then Facet Joint injections I might try it

Whats to loose?

Thanks again
  • I underwent 6 accupuncture sessions pre-op.. It relieved the nerve pain in my back and legs for about an hour... that's it... IMHO, it was a waste of time and money.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 02/01/2014 - 2:25 AM
    I have had one acupuncture treatment for my back. I don't think it made any difference.
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 02/02/2014 - 11:53 PM
    and he offered me free acupuncture and it did nothing after 12 times of going I gave it up ..so in my case ..no good
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

• ... but I guess it would be worth a try.
    Here in the UK, we can ask to try it on the NHS now. I am considering doing that. I hope it couldn't make things worse!

• My friend is going for acupuncture txs for fertility and she says if nothing else, it relaxes her and her neck pain from a gymnastics injury feels Great.
    So maybe after my S I Injections, maybe I will give it a try
  • Best case scenario is you get some placebo effect.
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    I have continued thinking it might eventually work but $77 a session is getting to be too much! Again I think I am seeing a very experienced acupuncturist but my case is particularly resistant and I think I might stop or at least go bi weekly for a time.
    I think it's worth a try but not sure it actually helps.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    my feelings about acupuncture for spinal pain.

To start with, I believe that any conservative treatment is the better option in attempting to manage your spinal discomfort and pain.

I have had a large number of acupuncture treatments, so with electric stimulation and some without. None of those treatments were covered under our insurance plan.

Acupuncture works wonders, I feel great, I feel so good after those sessions. It takes the pain away and I can relax. But I found it doesn't last long. I wish I could go 2 or 3 times a week for that treatment, but it just hasn't worked out. for me.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com