Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Collapsing post-surgery:

LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
edited 01/29/2014 - 4:15 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I had two level fusion on Nov 13, 2013. Although my sciatica and numbness is virtually gone (thank god) I have a new pain at S1 Sacrum area, which is constant and the level of discomfort varies from day to day. After imaging was done 3 weeks post-op, I was informed the disc collapsed at L5S1 either immediately post-op or within days after surgery. Imaging shows that the collapsed area has gotten worse when comparing CT scans three weeks apart. Has anyone out there had this happen to them or know of anybody that this has happened to. No one seems to be able to give me any answers or possibilities for future complication(s). My surgeon said I was incredibly lucky I chose Not to have the BMP to fuse with because it can have a tendency to keep fusing outside of the realm it was meant to stay in line with. I was one lucky lady, deciding to use my own graft instead two days prior to surgery. Research is a very good thing. Anyone.....Anyone who can give me some input???????

• Wish I could help with your question, but hoping you can help with mine! I have numbness on the back of my thigh and on the side and bottom of my foot post-discectomy ( I am three weeks post-op) How long did your numbness last? Did it leave suddenly or bit by bit? Thanks...hoping someone else has the answer to your fusion questions. Best of luck to you.
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    Hi Zinnia59, I would not worry at this point Zinnia. Three weeks post-op is not very long at all in regards for your healing. I've had 3 prior laminectomies prior to my two-level fusion and after each surgery, I experienced numbness, tingling, sciatica and such. I felt as though I hadn't had surgery at all. But it did go away for a while in between surgeries. You have to think of it like this: your muscles, lamina, vertebrae have all been cut, probed, scraped and then sewed or stapeled up. And all that business makes for A LOT of swelling and edema, which acts just like the disc material that was impinging on your nerve root. Are you "being good"?......NOT lifting over 10 lbs, turning or rotating your spine, laundry of any kind, bringing in grocery bags and such?? Are you getting enough exercise like walking every day (Not Uphill Walking, just flat). Exercise, taking your meds on time, and resting is your friend and extremely essential. If you feel that you have been doing all of this and your pain is worsening or you have other complications that are gnawing at you, call your Dr! That is what he is there for. Better to make a phone call to him/her and get seen or at the very least, set your mind at ease, is so much better than biting your nails wondering if this or that is normal. And for heaven sake, don't take anything you research on the internet as truth. There are so many different diagnosis for this or that. You'll drive yourself crazy. Hope some of this info helped. It is just what I know for my own body and my prior surgeries. I am sure there are many other forum friends who have good information and guidance to help you along your healing process. Best of Luck to you....LeeLee