Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WOOHOO! No more restrictions!

I had my 6 week followup yesterday and I don't have to wear the back brace and I have no more restrictions! I questioned my surgeon about not being fused yet but he told me that since I have a PEEK implant with 3 screws (put in 3 yrs ago from the front) between the L4 & L5 and now the screws and rods on the backside that it's not going to move and will fuse in time! WHAT A RELIEF to be out of the brace :)

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• trishdownunderttrishdownunder Posts: 971
    edited 01/29/2014 - 10:30 PM
    It must feel like pure freedom after being cooped up in the brace ! I was fused in under 6 months but I think it was probably closer to the 6 month mark. I have a friend who didn't fuse and recently had more surgery with more hardware and she was told that even if she didn't fuse, it would all hold together.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 01/30/2014 - 12:06 AM
    The smiling cat person, it was supposed to be a smiling dog, has changed into a baby koala. When you finish the quilt you'll have to post it as your avatar.
  • TSP & Trish, It does feel wonderful and I'll look for one of my quilts to use as my avatar. That's a good idea!

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • Still be careful!! Even thou no restrictions,listen to your body. I went grocery shopping today and was on my feet for over a couple hrs. Boy am I tired and a lower back pain. I no longer have to wear the brace either, but still have restrictions. I do to the doctor in one week so we will see what they say. Good luck and enjoy the quilt shows. I am a knitter and a potter ( handbuilding, so I know how we want to get back to our hobbies!)