Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can an Management Drs in CT write 90 RX?

BackDown67BBackDown67 Posts: 2
edited 01/31/2014 - 4:58 AM in Chronic Pain
I am forced to visit my PM doctor every 4 weeks which costs me $50 just to walk in the door to get 2 pieces of paper for RX. I have heard that many people get 90 day RX. Is this possible in CT (which not surprisingly would make my Dr. EDIT It would save me $400 a year on just co-pays so I might be able to pursue alternate therapies or be ABLE to pay my regular bills without constantly being panic stricken every month. I get $1000 a month in disability. Barely enough to get by and expect to eat.... I calculated what he makes off me via insurance and co-pay every 4 weeks and it is EQUAL to what I get a year to live my entire life on.
According to what I read in a DEA report, 90 day RX's CAN be written, thus reducing the number of visits and expense for me- but are there different regulations specific to CT?????

Post Edited for Inappropriate Language by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• i see my pain doctor every two months and he writes scripts for two months, one for one month, and another for the second month. he will be out of the office for a while and he wrote me 3 scripts because he will be out of town for 3 months. i have to pay a minimum of 75 dollars every month and i give him an extra 50 to make up monies i owe him for injections and i have insurance to boot. that is the way it goes. are you on long or short term disability? oh buy the way, i had to pay 175 dollars this month because it is the beginning of the year and i have a 175 dollar co pay so i had to pay 175 plus the 75 to the office. when my wife got laid off for two years and did not work, i still had to pay all of this money. that is the way things are and the way things go with medicine.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    the script and can justify it, there really isnt a limit to the number. If been using Oxycodone IR 5mg for about 8 years straight now. I have had some scripts written so that 60 pills cover a month, some for 120, and some for 180. It all depends on how the prescription is written.

Take 1 tablet for pain every 6 hours would translate into 120 pills per month
    Take 1-2 tablets for pain every 8 hours would translate into 180 pills per month
    Take 1-2 tablets for pain every 6 hours would translate into 240 pills per month

I live in CT and never had a problem with any of this.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I believe what he is asking is if the doctor can write prescriptions for a 90 day supply at one visit or if there is some law which states that the patient must be seen every 30 days before a new prescription can be issued.
    If I am correct in what the OP is asking, it depends on the doctors practice, how long you have been a patient and if you are stable on your medications.
    Some states do have regulations in place that state that the patient must be seen every 30 days to recieve a new prescription, others do not, so you need to check your state http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Poisoning/laws/state/index.html

However, there are many factors that go into determining how often a patient must be seen by the doctor when it comes to opiates and reissuing prescriptions, including if the patient is stable, not showing signs of worsening, how effective their treatment program is, any need to adjust dosages , and the comfort level of the physician in allowing more time between visits. Some doctors just are not comfortable and stick to seeing the patient every 30 days for many reasons and that is just their office policy.
    It is not simply about collecting copays, they make far more money by other treatment options than issuing prescriptions.