Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

August Surgery Buddies Update

Hi My Dear August Surgery Buddies and all Spinies

Tomorrow is February and it marks the milestone of SIX MONTHS post-op for us all during the month.

My 6 month anniversary date will be on the 13 th...
How am I? I wonder myself.
Was surgery all worth it?

My surgery met its goals of preventing total paralysis and unreversable weakness in my foot/leg (foot drop) and I do not trip on my toes as much as I used to.
It stopped the urinary incontinence from my Cauda Equina Syndrome
It removed 90 percent of my sciatic pain that travels down my leg

But I am dissapointed most of all that my leg, foot and buttocks are still as numb as before the surgery and that I still can't sit or stand for more than a few minutes. I also can't change positions from sitting to standing up ( for example) without getting " stuck in an L 90 degrees for a few minutes until the pain subsides. I did not have have this problem before surgery.
I still have Stenosis, but its foraminal, not central and foraminal as before surgery.
What I have come to accept is that I have a "bad back" and that it's here to stay.

So August buddies, let's hear your six month update

Hugs and Hershey kisses and blessings always
Rose ( still Stenosis Rose)

• Carl OswaldCCarl Oswald Posts: 66
    edited 02/04/2014 - 4:00 AM
    Hi Rose.. I am experiencing the exact same thing.. My surgery was Aug..15.. I got a little better for a while and seemed to be making a little progress, though slowly.... Now I seem to have relapsed with accute numbness, neuropathy from my toes to my booty... My leg muscles seem to have atrophied and won't respond, other than to cramp up and ache... I can barely or stand... Went for my six months follow up yesterday..My Neuro Doc has ordered a new MRI.. Says, I should be playing golf, jogging, and back to normal and is surprised at my relapse.. My surgery was an open Lumbar Laminectomy and Decompression for Stenosis in S1, L1 thru L5.... So, I guess it's back to square one...I am usually a proactive, positive, happy guy, but right now I am so frustrated I could just spit.. Moral of the story... You're not alone.. Hang in there, fellow "Spiney".. and get better..