Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help fractured my back after fusion stupid pain anyone? please help!!!!!!

For those who don't know my story I will give you all a quick overview. I am 5 months post op from a L5 - S1 360 lumbar fusion. For the most part my recovery had home well and I actually had good bone growth at my last visit a few weeks ago and everything seemed on the up and up. Yesterday I was moving some things in the house everything was going perfect until I was bent over wiping down something's and as I went to stand up I felt a big pop in my back by the fusion and the sound I will never forget uggggg as soon as this happened I dropped to my knees in excruciating pain. I managed to make it to the other bed room where phone was to call 911. They gave me a very expensive ride to the hospital where I had my fusion done. I explained the story in detail and after some x-rays they came into tell me that my L4 where the connecting rod to stabilize my fusion was fractured but stable enough not to make it emergent surgery. They gave a shot of pain meds and sent me on my way told me to see my surgeon as soon as possible. So tonight is the first night and I have been in insane pain since this happened. This is worse then any of the fusion pain at all it crazy. Had this happened to anybody on here at all? What can I except etc.... Help please I need se light here at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for listening Ben
L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
L4 Facet arthritis

• NJDanNNJDan Posts: 31
    edited 02/02/2014 - 6:11 AM
    Oh my God, I am so sorry! I wish I could help in some way. I hope the pain has calmed down. This stuff stinks. I am so sorry.
  • So sorry this has happened to you.
    If you haven't ready done it, call your neurosurgeon's office immediately. Mine has an emergency number they'll refer you to on the weekend. Tell them what your X-Ray shows and ask that someone call you back asap. Hopefully, they can see you first thing in the morning. I hope you have enough pain meds to make it thru the night. I pray everything will turn out okay. Good luck!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • I bet you can call the hospital and have whomever is on call paged and they will call you back. Will be thinking of you. Let us know how everything goes.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • So I am waiting for my appt. with my back doctor on Wed. I guess in the mean time I must live in extreme pain? I have always had an extremely high tolerance to any medication. I had some as needed for pain 5mg oxycodone left from my fusion which even at the max dose does absolutely nothing! When I explained this they said that's a very strong narcotic and I should be happy I have them.. I tried over and over to explain what I had been on for years it got me nowhere. Ugggggg.... It's crazy to me that I am in such excruciating pain. I never thought after surgery that I would feel pain worse than that but I did and there is pain worse.... Has this happened to anyone at all again please help...
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 02/03/2014 - 12:56 PM
    My heart is sinking fast and I feel so bad
    Can you go back to the ER????
    Wed is a long way off
    Hugs always