Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Costs Etc.

Hello all,
Does anyone have any idea how much a minimally invasive scoliosis correction costs? Dr. said they go in from lateral and posterior and the surgery takes about 5 hours. I have Medicare but because I'm under 65 I can't buy a supplement that will help cover costs.

I have Lyme disease, and a PICC line and get IV antibiotics 4 days a week. Am half way about through treatment and been doing this for 1.5 years, it's very expensive and I can add 3-400$ a month to what I'm already paying but realistically not much more.

Do you know if surgeons offer payment plans? the last time I talked to the Dr. I asked costs and he said they would give me a cost sheet. In the mean time I'm just wondering what others have seen on their bills.

Also...........I have a small company that I run entirely by myself. It's retail online so I'm open 24/7. I can hire someone to help with shipments etc but the admin work is too complicated to turf and I'm wondering is it at ALL possible to get on your Laptop for say 15 - 30 minutes the day after surgery and then throughout the day a little?

I've had 5 other outpatient surgeries where I came home and worked the entire day. I understand this is different but................no work no money. right now everything I make goes to medical so I need to figure this out.

Thanks and I have to say this is utterly terrifying. I'm doing mediation to help with the fear. wish it was just pain and suffering but adding the fact that it's so expensive is also through the roof stress.

• 5 hour surgery doesn't sound minimally invasive. You can ask the hospital to give you an estimate. I don't know about other surgeons, I know the two I have been to didn't take payments, they wanted their portion of the fees up front. I know since you have medicare you only have to pay 20%. Medicare will pay the other 80% of what they say they are going to pay. For example: A surgery may be 50,000. Medicare may say they are only going to pay 10,000 of it. You pay 2,000 and medicare will pick up the rest. Are you sure they will even do the surgery with you being treated for Lyme disease?

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • thanks for answering. Yes it's minimally invasive and yes they know about the LD. Surgeon said it takes longer with the MIS and I know it's not as brutal, like no ICU etc. but.............I'm not sure of anything yet but yes that's right on the 20% of costs. I've had an hour surgery that was 14,000 and my share was 800. I keep hoping maybe it will be discounted that much. oiy vey right?
  • It should be discounted quite a bit. Medicare doesn't want to pay a high price for anything. Like I said your hospital and surgeon's office can give you an estimate. I have always just paid the estimate.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Danigirl123DDanigirl123 Posts: 60
    edited 02/02/2014 - 4:58 PM
    I didn't catch if this will be done in the hospital? If it is, most of your cost is coming from the hospital. Which in that case you can always set a payment plan with the hospital. Most surgeons take payment plans. They know people can't drop bombs down and realize normal people don't have tons of money. Also as far as if you can still work.. I had major surgery for scoli T12 to L4 in June. The first 2 days I was not able to really do much. By third day I was totally waning to do stuff and get outa there! So it all depends on how u feel! Also.. My whole surgery cost 87,000$ but my insurance picked it all up. So minimally invasive I don't know. Just knocking you out cost me about 5,000-8,000$. I really was in the wrong profession.
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks for the great info and experiences. Danigirl123 I think you're in the right ballpark I was guessing 5 hour surgery around 80-100K. I'll see the surgeon tomorrow and get more info.
  • Most surgical facilities charge $100 per minute "wheels in wheels out" that covers everything "surgical" accept surgeon and anest. and usually you'll get a bill from the manufacturers of the hardware.

I know generally if you are spending over night you will hit your "max out of pocket", especially with tests etc... so plan to spend your max out of pocket.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had 3 levels fused and 3 days in hospital. It was $200,000. The doctor was only around $20,000. Luckily I have Federal BCBS and only had to pay $450 of it.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • My 2 level fusion (4 hour surgery) and 4 days/3 nights in the hospital came in around $100k. The hospital billed $450k, but only got paid slightly over $50k by my insurance. The rest of the fees came from my spine surgeon, vascular surgeon, and the team that monitored my nerve activity during surgery. I ended up paying around $2k to satisfy my out of pocket max.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • I ended up paying 8k.... two years in a row....
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Surgical costs can differ from state to state. Plus there are so many different variables that it is impossible to provide a accurate cost estimate.

The good folks here have provided some very good details about potential surgical costs.

I think the best path you can take at this point, is to talk this over with your doctor's business office as well as the hospitals business staff. There are so many 'behind the scene costs' that even if you listed the

• - Doctor
      - Their team
      - Anesthesia
      - Recovery room
      - Nurse / staff
      - Doctor and associate visits
      - Medications
      - Hospital bed
      - Supplies
      - etc
    some will be left off. But if you can get a figure to be close, give or take lets say 10% that is a good starting point.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oh wow, thanks for all your experiences in the "other" pain and suffering department. lol. I saw the surgeon and they are starting the ball rolling on the surgery and I'll talk to the business office tomorrow.
  • My surgery is scheduled for March 3. The surgeon's fee to me will be under 900$. I have to pay the hospital around 1,100$ and other drs/anesthesiologist etc. I'm thinking it will all be around 3 thousand.