Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Weakness and Muscle Memory Loss

One of the spine issues I have is a herniated disc at L4-5 with nerve root impingement. Recently I have been experiencing muscle weakness and muscle memory loss. I have fallen down the stairs twice within a week because I think my foot/leg is planted on the next step but it isn't. This is getting really scary, has anyone else experienced this?

My pain level is exacerbated by the falls and quite frankly is freaking me out that my body isn't able to perform what used to be a mindless task.

• RobertedlandRRobertedland Posts: 6
    edited 09/03/2014 - 4:31 PM
    I'm going threw the same thing. I got cut open on March 13 of 2014. I'm also going threw numbness and tingle in both feet, sometimes it feels like I have 50lb shoes on .it's been 6 mounths of hell.I have over 16 screws and 2 rods in me about 15 inches long that start at c3. I wish you the best of luck.

Today there was something on the news 12 of new jersey ,they had 2 DR's on and they talk about the spine.They are EDITED editson NJ. also there are 2 tests that might help us
    !) Spinal SEMG/NCS
    2) Computerized spinal Thermography

Post edited to remove medical practice name. Posting of specific medical centers, practices or physician names is not permitted on Spine Health. Please read the forum rules to ensure that they comply with our rules.

5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com.

• MDT333MMDT333 Posts: 1
    edited 09/03/2014 - 4:40 PM
    You need to see your general physician to make sure your problem is not something else, not related to your back issues. I have a lot of different issues w/my back and hip,way too many to go into. I stopped on your note because I had this happen to me many times and ended up hospitalized 5 times in 4 months. I went to the same hospital the first 4 times EDITED had the nerve to tell me EDITED that I just wasted over a million dollars worth of the governments money. I had begged him several times to do a test for black mold spore exposure because I had been exposed to it in a bad way and for a long period of time. By the time I was ever tested I had not been exposed to it for over a week so I did not know it if was mold or not but I definitely had all the symptoms that it could cause.When I asked him to call my relative because I wanted to transfer to another hospital due to lack of care & being stuck in a corner on a bed on the floor without a call button to get a nurse. Instead of calling my child he baker acted me instead and gave my purse filled with my RX of 90 morphine pills to a known drug addict! I had nothing left when I got out and had to file a police report just so i could see my pain doctor again. So, anyhow, I left my home for a while to see if the symptoms went away after my last admit,and went to stay with my son in the next town over.After being there just one day,I fell out by the pool when I could not feel my legs and just went down. My son insisted I go to the hospital because he knew how bad I would get after that first fall,I would not know who I was within an hour. Well, I got a new hospital and a new doctor and hey figured it out right away. I was in kidney failure so bad I was close to being put on dialysis. I had never had a kidney problem before but my kidney function tests had been off before and the other doctor did not make it sound as alarming as my new doctor did. The first thing they did was take me off my arthritis medication:Diclofenac, and any other anti-inflammatory I was on like Aleve,or Tylenol or anything w/Tylenol in it. After this, I never had the problem again,so thanks to the other doctor's ignorance and arrogance, it was HE who wasted a million dollars worth of the government's money ! It has been 2 years now and it has never happened again. I did come close a couple of times but was having problems from my undiagnosed COPD at the time. Even though I now have to use a crutch 24-7 unless there is furniture to hold on to, it's better than being in intensive care , intubated, put in 4 point restraints and not even knowing who my own children were much less myself! I have taken the rare Aleve or Tylenol when I had a severe headache or pain my morphine would not help,but I limit it to one dose period! I hope to have back surgery and get a new hip this year and I dream of not using a crutch and having the ability to stand and cook an entire meal without falling down. So,to you above, make sure your internist does all the basic lab and radiologic tests to rule out other medical issues like Kidney failure that could cause your muscle weakness. I had never heard of losing control of my muscles and brain being a side effect of kidney failure and apparently neither did that first doctor because I later found out when my medical records were requested by a psych. doctor to review my disability,they wrote on MY PERMANENT RECORD that they thought my problem was related to me taking more pain meds than prescribed!! I was furious when I read this and told the psych doctor I was actually taking 30 less pills a month approximately and could prove it! It is never good advice to strictly go by anything you see on the internet even if it says it was written by a doctor. Just use it as a guide to do your own research so you know what to ask your doctors when you see them. I am in the middle of a nightmare right now having at least 8 consults when I am on disability and am still trying to meet a 500 dollar deductible.

Post edited by Sandi. Doctor bashing is not permitted on Spine Health. Please read the forum rules before posting.

You agree not to submit or post material that is harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com. This includes the bashing and/or name calling of physicians.

• seen by your doctor. New or worsening symptoms also need to be evaluated by your physician. It is possible that it is related to the compressed nerve, and that there may be inflammation which is causing the increased symptoms but you need to get it checked out.
  • smb42. I used to get a 'bad back' but nothing too bad. About 8 years ago I fell awkwardly carrying my baby son & when I tried to stand I couldn't feel my leg. I could see my foot on the floor but had no feeling at all. It sounds similar to you. My herniation was pressing on my S1 nerve root. I had a lot of inflammation around there. For me a course of oral steroids (&meds) & an epidural steroid injection got me walking again. Crippling sciatica remained for a long time. I would get 'dead foot' occasionally & have falls like you.

That level of nerve impingement really needs to be checked out by a surgeon. Have you seen one & had diagnostic tests since this started? I waited too long & have permanent nerve damage as a result. I'd also see your GP to make sure it's not anything else.

I found it really frightening at the time & stumbling & falling sent my back pain through the roof! Ugh!! Please get it checked-out as soon as possible & let us know how it goes. Good luck! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.