I am medically retired out of ca, have been now for 5 years. My disability rating is a over all 47% including my low/mid back disc injuries, and my initial neck injury of an aggrivated disc. The last 5 years (now 39 y/o male) have been slowly progressing for my neck. Just the last year it has been really bad, with intense headaches, weakness in arms, numbness etc.... my daily pain # is 7 for the good days 10 for the bad.
Finally a new MRI was done and showed my nerves are being "severely" compressed at c-2/3 and 5/6. Doctors told me the compression is so bad We have to rush surgery within the next 60 days or long term I can become paralyzed. So I have a few questions I hope the community can help me with.
1) After my neck is fused from c3-c7, how does this change my medical retirement? do my disability ratings go up?
2) I have herd the procedure does'nt always remove the pain, and in some cases it can get worse, is this true?
3) What kind of Recovery should I expect, short term, long term?
4) How long is the surgery it self?
5) HOw is life after surgery?
I know my Dr. can answer some of these, but while i wait for our next meeting (which should include my surgery date) I was hoping all of you that have gone threw this or have knowledge may be able to ease my mind some.
Than in Andvance