Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does gabapentin TREAT a nerve damage or only acts as a pain killer to reduce pain?

Hi I had injured my right foot while playing cricket couple of months back and CT scan revealed a minor metatarsal fracture which was treated by putting on a fibreglass cast. However I was unable to walk and then my doc suspected I also had a soft tissue / nerve injury in the foot and prescribed gabapentin. After about a week of taking 100mg gabapentin twice daily, my pain has reduced substantially and I am now able to walk properly and the tingling sensation in the foot has gone.What I want to know is that does gabapentin TREAT a nerve injury or only reduce the pain till the time one is taking the medicine? Will the pain come back once I stop taking it?

• Mine was for nerve pain. It dulled the pain but has never took the pain away. I'm on 2800 mg per day.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/11/2014 - 2:11 PM
    is that these medications, whether they are opiates or neuro related medications are supposed to take all of the pain away but that is not the case. Diminish our perception of the pain, yes, and reduce it, yes, but eliminate it, no.
  • I believe the gabapentin just relieves the symptoms temporarily. It's not a cure.
  • BrownevoBrownevo Posts: 23
    edited 02/19/2014 - 1:50 PM
    I've just started this med and after the first pill I felt a reduction in nerve pain and was able to stand for more than 5 minutes. I also take acupan, co codamol and tramadol (but I am trying to reduce these) I agree the meds will not cure it but take your pain to a comfortable level so you can carry on with your daily routines. I was able to bake a cake today for the first time in 4 months by being able to stand up, time for a celebration ;)
  • I have been taking 3600mg (which is the max) for more than 5yrs now and when I thought it wasn't working anymore I stoped taking it and the Inner Core Pain I was feeling came back without mercy. So I would say that its not a pain killer per say but there is a core pain which is in the nerve itself that it helps you be able to deal with. That's my take.
  • I take it for nerve pain. It helps take the edge off but I still have pain at a more tolerable level.
    alif l4-s1
  • pain8me, could you explain what you mean by "inner core pain"?
    600 mg Neurotin, Celebrex, Norflex
  • For me, I have the normal pain that I would feel and then there is the nerve pain that feels like its deep inside the leg like where the bone is. I call that the inner core pain. There is a couple different types of pain that I have recognized over the 20+ yrs I have dealt with my chronic pain and I feel that I need to know whi h pain I am dealing with. I hope this helps you, let me know if there is anything else that I can do.
  • Is it a deep throbbing pain, rather than a sharp, electric, taser, sciatic type pain?

I'm never sure if I sound like a crazy person when I try to describe my pains!! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • It is a deep throbbing pain. A numbing pain as well. I tried to come off of the gaba meds but then it was a very intense pain, so I was able then to tell the difference between the types of pain. Others who are not in your predicament will never know or completely under stand what we understand. I hope this helps.
  • I also titrate down on my different meds to identify & get a better handle on my pains. Thank you. I find it fascinating to hear someone else truly describe a specific pain! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hi! Gabapentin is used as a seizure medication firstly. It is also useful to treat neuropathic pain. (Nerve pain) My doc prescribed it for me but I wouldn't take it because he said I would be in bed (sleeping) all day. No thanks, I want to sleep alot as it is due to the depression from the pain. It is usually called Nuerontin. My friend said she could not concentrate on it, and couldn't even finish her sentences when she talked. I'm glad it worked for so many of you. I don't want to be more of a zombie than I already am. Anyone have any feedback on Lyrica for me??? Thank you!
    DINA mina
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    is that inner deep pain that I get in my thighs,knees, feet, forearms and hands. It normally happens at night. It comes on slowly, first that I feel jittering and have to move my legs and rub them. For that it builds up that I need to get up and walk around the house., always moving my arms and slapping at my thighs.

By that time of night , I have normally had my last oxycodone and that eventually helps reduce those feelings.

When I was on higher doses of Neurontin, those jumpy feelings didnt happen that often. Since, I've decreased the
    amount of Neurontin, that pain has come back some more. But now, that I am on butrans 5mcg patch, I no longer
    have that feeling. But (more buts) today I am stopping the patch since it has helped me get over my recent 6 week flare up.

So, it will be interesting to see what happens now.
  • mjd210 said:
    I take it for nerve pain. It helps take the edge off but I still have pain at a more tolerable level.

same here, I've taken it for three years now. Started at 3x300 went up to 6x300 but came back down to 3x300 in the last six months but I had a PT breakthrough.
    scoliosis, scheuermann's kyphosis
  • I find my leg pain to be short, throbbing at times and sometimes like an ice pick, jammed in from my knee up my thigh. I think that's my Inner Core pain. You're all right; there are so many types of pains, coming from so many different places.

I found that Nucynta didn't really do anything, since my nerve pain is on and off, and since it's an opioid, I want to reduce that as well.
    DDD, L3-S1 almost gone. Waiting to hear about 3 disc fusion. Sciatica and arthritis. Life is like a box of chocolates...
  • Opiates are not the best option to treat neuropathic pain ......that why the medications used to treat seizure disorders have worked so well for that specific type of pain.....it can take a bit of time to reach the correct dose, but go slowly and work with your doctor and you will find it.......don't ever just stop taking it, unless you have an allergic reaction to it. In most cases, the side effects will diminish over time, and the dosage range for neurontin/gabapentin is somewhere between 100 mg -3600 mg so as you can see it can take some time to find the right dose.
  • Thanks Ann. I like others describing their pain because I find it so hard to fill out those forms..you know? 'is it stabbing, burning etc? I often feel like a womble pointing & doing sound effects. You're right, we have different pains from a variety of sources. For the longest time I thought sciatica was only that sharp, cattle prod, speaking in tongues when you try to move pain!

I was on Nucynta for a while but I really didn't like it. I found myself so focused on my pain all the time. For me distraction is the best medicine & I was just sweaty & obsessed! ;-(
    We're all different, good luck with finding the best mix for you.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • edited 09/01/2015 - 10:08 PM
    I most certainly am not saying that I am happy that others suffer pain. It is comforting to see how others describe their pain and I can associate with it. It is frustrating to try and tell someone exactly what you are feeling and you can tell they have no clue what you are talking about. Even worse is when they don't believe you at all. I am currently waiting to get an MRI to see what is going on with my hip. I leaned over to look at something in a store on 8/8/15 and when I stood up I experienced excruciating, stabbing pain in my right hip. I ended up at the emergency room the next day. My primary care doctor saw me twice then referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. He suspects a herniated disc. But since I haven't been under his care for 6 weeks, my insurance denied the request for an MRI. So, now I just take pain medication and try to rest. I have been out of work for almost a month now. At least this gives me time to read and study my Bible, strengthening my faith helps me from spiraling into a deep depression. I am having a hard time struggling with the responses from family members such as- "Oh, it can't be THAT bad, I hurt too." Or - "How are you going to pay your bills and take care of you kids if your not working?"

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Mother GooseMMother Goose Posts: 87
    edited 09/01/2015 - 5:36 PM
    I wish it would help me sleep. nothing seems to help with that. But back to the original questions. Most meds, including Neurontin, do not cure things, I think antibiotics are about a few things that "cure" things. Most meds help control things. it helps with the pain but I also exercise and do things to help. It's kind of like taking ADD meds. The meds are only a part of the solution, you still need to learn coping skills and learn about the disorder. Same thing with weight loss. Taking a pill may help but you still need to learn good eating habits and exercise. So look at medications as part of the solution not a cure.
  • It goes to blended therapy, a great post here in new members.

First dosage of gabapentin was 3x300. Sure I had the side affect of woozy at first, but I went slow, as I do with all new treatments. Over time I could meditate and find my normal in my mind while having a good outcome to the pains in my legs. Then they were out of control again about four weeks later..ice pick deep with electricity like lightning occasionally. Like Ron said I had to move and I was literally banging my hands against my legs. My tens unit helped until I saw doctor. He changed script to 400 every six hours or as needed, not to exceed 2000 mg. wow. I'm so glad I got that prescription change. I'm able to handle flare ups and the gabepentin is a lifesaver! Only sad thing is I dearly love a glass of wine in the evening. He specifically told me not to combine alcohol. So I listen to him. Gosh I can't wait to have that glass one day!!
  • ADRJenAADRJen Posts: 211
    edited 09/14/2015 - 5:01 AM
    It might make you a little drowsy but it helps me with the pain.

Mixing prescribed medications and alcohol can be a very dangerous situation. Talk this over with your doctor and pharmacists to get their feedback.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • Sully67SSully67 Posts: 1
    edited 09/14/2015 - 7:48 PM
    I take this drug as a booster when I am at the end of my cycle with Fentanyl patch for nerve pain in my feet. I sometimes take a couple with my patch, but either way they work great for my nerve pain and last like half a day on 3 of them, not sure the mg but they are a big yellow capsule.

Hope this helps.

Never take any medication without knowing the exact dosage , milligrams and warnings

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/14/15

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • L5S1 karmaLL5S1 karma Posts: 30
    edited 01/12/2016 - 1:04 PM
    This is what my doc gave me to help getting rid of the swelling of my nerve still showing on a recent mri with contrast done after surgery. I dont have core shooting pain but i have a burning sensation tingling and numb from my L5S1 herniation. When i asked him if this medication was going to be another bandaid to cover symptoms he said it does help the swelling which will get rid of the symptoms (minus the numbness) . Any comments if this is true??
    still the answer is he same.
    Nerve medications help address nerve pain and assist in the reduction of nerve inflammation.