Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help with meds (Butrans Patch-Buprenorphine Transdermal System)

Hello
May I start by apologizing that this might be a tad long. I was in a vehicle accident 11 months ago. T3-T12 compression fractures, C3-C7 fractures and herniation, fractured sternum, spasms, and nerve damage, and some heavy bruising. I had C3-C6 fusion in May. From March through August I was taking Oxycontin, percocet, tramadol and gabapentin daily. I have had trigger point inj. facet inj. and radio freq. ablasion and none of those treatments lasted longer than 2 days. There has never been any treatment for my T spine. So I am in chronic pain in my neck,shoulders,spine, right arm and migraine headaches(at least two per week). That being said, my PM took me off of all of the pills except the gabapentin. In addition, I take cymbalta for depression, and the butrans patch 20 micrograms per hour. None of these work, well the cymbalta does. The patch is giving me a bad skin reaction. When that patch comes off, it is like a large oozing burn. I am going to PM tomorrow to show her the burns, and explain that nothing is working. I am wondering if anyone here (which I hope you guys are not in my same boat) have any similar injuries or pain, and what you are taking that is a help or improvement. Some day are worse than others, but most days, my pain is at a 5-6 and gets as bad as a 10. I have a family, and grand children, and I am tired of this controlling my life. I know that I will most likely be in this shape for the rest of my life, but I really need to find some relief so that I can have some good days. I regret that we are in this club together, but I am so glad I found you guys.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 02/10/2014 - 11:58 AM
    The oozing with the patches is bothersome and can effect the medication delivery but there are things that you can do to alleviate that. There are some nasal sprays that have antihistimine properties that you can apply to the area where you apply the patch, let it air dry and then apply the patch. This helps to stop the histimine production that is a reaction to the adhesive usually.
    The goal of pain management is a reduction of about 50% of your unmedicated pain levels. If you are truly at a "10" pain wise, you would be incoherant and unable to care for yourself or communicate.
    Proper pain treatment plans include many modalities, not just the use of medications to manage the pain. They include physical therapy and swlmming, low impact excercises, stretches, use of ice, heat, massage , TENS, biofeedback and even over the counter topical creams and ointments. Each tool that you have to use to manage the pain levels helps a bit, and each bit adds up to overall more effective pain controls.
    Once an injury occurs, especially when it comes to chronic spine pain, there is no such animal as pain free. ...it is all about learning to manage it and learning to live with a certain amount of pain , because there aren't enough medications in the world to manage to make us pain free.........we have damage in our spines, therefore it is there for the rest of our lives.
    Read this link to learn more about the steps to getting chronic pain treated.
    We don't make medication recommendations, those need to come from your provider, based on his examination of you, and your symptoms. What works for one of us may not work for you, so talk to your PM doctor about options to develop a well stocked tool box to manage the pain.