Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin to Zonegran

I hope everyone is having a good day, comfortable as possible! I have a question for those on nerve meds- has anyone taken Neurontin and Zonegran at the same time? I have been on Neurontin for YEARS, and as anyone who has just tried to quit it knows, the withdrawals are TORTURE! Zonegran isn't strong enough to just swap, so I'm weaning down the Neurontin as I up the Zonegran... I just don't know if they should be taken together? My Neurontin dose was max- 3200mg a day- so I want to cut it comfortably, not necessarily on any 'schedule'...

Now I'm sure you're wondering why I don't ask my doctor. My doctors aren't familiar enough with this med- in fact, they don't even know what a proper dose for me should be. But thats ok with me! I actually asked for it, even knowing that they were unfamiliar (and a tad uncomfortable). I have been on it before, so I know I can tolerate it, and it helps. Not as much as the Neurontin, but... I have recently lost 25 lbs, and have 10 to go, so I'm temporarily switching out the Neurontin to speed that up!! Especially since Zonegran helps curb my appetite BIG TIME! Hey- might as well use it to my advantage, right? Not very often I can do that!

So, after all my rambling, has anyone taken these 2 together for any period of time?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/11/2014 - 2:09 PM
    You really need to discuss this with your doctor. It is unwise for anyone here to advise you about combining the two medications or switching around dosages. That information should only come from your MD that prescribed it.
    Interactions and intolerance issues are dangerous and not something that we can help you with.
  • I think I may have worded this incorrectly... I know they CAN be taken together, but just because 2 meds can be taken safely together, doesn't mean the outcome is always pleasant! I'm asking for real experiences, good or bad, from anyone who may have taken them at the same time...
  • I take both neurontin (gabapentin) zonegran (zonisimide) together and have been for a number of years The gabapentin works on the nerve pain or more the tingling I get in my hands and fingers from neck injuries ans shoulder problems. Your nerves run through your shoulders so severe shoulder injuries affect the nerves in your arms. The zonisimide is a anti-seizure medicine to help control my epilepsy. I take 400mg of it in the morning and 600mg of gabapentin 3 times a day with no ill effects I also take up to 200mg of oxycodone for severe pain from 1`8 surgeries and shoulder dislocations although lately I have had to cut back because of the crackdown on doctors here in Ohio. The pain is so bad now I can't stand long enough to cook my own dinner or breakfast.