Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prescription of compund topical medications by Docotrs

Hello I just have a question. For most patients who have been prescribed compound topical medicines. Does the doctor send the prescription electronically or does Doctors still give the patients the prescription to take to the pharmacy?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

• terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 02/13/2014 - 4:57 AM
    i get compounded pain meds, but my doctor gives me the prescription and I take it to the pharmacy and they fill it there and give it to me just like regular prescriptions. i assume it is the same for topical meds that are compounded.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • whether or not there is a specific compounding pharmacy for that particular medication, and the insurance restrictions. both play a factor. I know my best friend had a compounded ointment used to treat her neuro related pain and there was only one pharmacy in the country that made it, and it was shipped to her residence on a monthly basis.
  • I have a compounded topical cream delivered to my door. I have to sign for it. I nearly had a heart attack the first time I received an invoice it was thousands of dollars!!! My insurance covered 100% phew ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I have heard that compounded topical is expensive. Is it working well for you?
  • I also have osteoarthritis, my fingers get really bad when the weather changes. It still amazes me that such little joints can cause so much pain! My cream was prescribed primarily for that but I am told to use it on the most painful areas. It works fantastically on my finger joints..completely numbs them. It does help my back a little but it feels like it doesn't go deep enough. I'm talking about the immediate effects. The on going use could be helping more than I know. It's part of my 'blend' & I haven't tried going without so I can't say for sure. It feels 'different' and when my pain is flaring that's good.
    I'm sorry I'm not giving a yes/no answer. If your insurance is going to cover it & it's affordable I'd recommend it but I've spoken to people who would be paying $500+ each month. I don't think I'd continue with it at that price. It's not a miracle cure. My muscle relaxants & narcotics are a more effective at managing my pain.

I've posted on another thread...I have a friend who has a similar cream but lower quantities of ketamine in particular & she gets very little relief from it. Mine is.. 150 Gm KETA10BAC2CYC2GAB6LID5 CREAM
    I have to confess when I first received it I thought 'it's just a cream' & used too much. It gave me a hangover the next morning. Please follow the correct dosing information like any other medication. ;-)

I hope this helps.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • on a prescription and I fax it to the compounding pharmacy and then they deliver it. It's very expensive and difficult to get approved but it's a life saver for me.
  • Thanks for the great comments. It seems that insurance does not want to pay for it. It seems silly. I know is expensive but if it works they should. Has anyone else had problems with insurance paying for it?
  • Not so far but I've received several letters from my insurance company listing meds they won't be covering anymore. I was prescribed Gabapentin & Cyclobenzaprin (ingredients in my cream) before I was given it..I don't know if that factored into their decision. Have you tried discussing it with your insurance company or doctor? I don't know if that could help. I'm not very experienced in the system. I agree..it seems crazy that they won't cover a medication that could bring you relief. I'm so sorry.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • fill out a medically necessary form for your insurance and or, you can appeal the coverage denial. Contact your insurance company and let them know that you and your doctor feel that this is the right medication for you, and it is only made at this pharmacy and ask what you need to do to fight the denial........They have to give you the information to dispute a denial of coverage and appeal it.
  • Gabapentin powder and the cyclobenazaprin as off label uses and no documentation showing effectiveness. I tried to see if they would pay for the 4 other meds and let me pay for the ones they don't cover in the cream and the answer was no. It's a real shame as I did get some relief of muscle spasms and nerve pain in my upper back with the compounded cream and now I'm taking oral muscle relaxers but can't take at work, and still have the nerve pain.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched